You know, I've watched this show from its inception. I get a kick out of it. I enjoy the actual talent that fills my living room with song, two and sometimes three nights per week. Early on in the competitions, I even like watching the non-talent. It's entertainment.
I do not believe anyone is being exploited. A person would have to live under a rock to audition for that show completely ignorant of all the possible consequences.
I like the judges and I think, for the most part, they are each doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing.Simon
is gruff - I'll give you that - but he's usually spot on with his judgements on the actual singing.Randy
is there to teach us new street slang every week and personally, I think he's doing a marvelous job of that.Paula
is the mediator/hand-holder who sometimes gets so bored with her purpose there that she forgets to show up completely straight and sober. Still, Paula is cute and is a personality we all wish we had in a friend. I like her.
I was never going to post about American Idol. Not because I'm ashamed that I watch it, but because it's all such a matter of personal opinion and preference. Then I realized, so is every other aspect of blogging - from our template styles to our post topics and frequency.
So let's take a quick look at all of the remaining contestants thus far in this season.Gina Glocksen
- This is the girl who would like very much to have many tattoos on her but is truly afraid she may lose her job or her family's respect so instead she went out and got a long sleeved tee shirt with fake tattoos imprinted on it for her audition. Now - I really like this girl. She'll never win in a million years, but I think she has a great little rasp to her voice and I think she could probably use a lucky break in life. It's just going to come from somewhere other than AI I'm afraid.Lakisha
- We all know by now that Lakisha is the whole package without the looks. She's a little dynamo - and I'm fairly certain that unless the voters get lazy and assume "oh she already gets plenty of votes" - she will be at least among the top three. I do, however, think she 'kicked back' this week and didn't give it her all. She'll fix it though - she's not going anywhere.Melinda Doolittle
- Odd. She's just an odd looking little creature, but goodness - she can sing! What surprises me is that a person whose chin rests on her chest can get so much air out of her lungs. Maybe it's because she lifts her shoulders so darned high. I'm sure there is some physical defect and I'm sure some people reading this might be a little put off by my descriptive. She's just plain odd to look at, but I very much like her singing abilities and am sure she too will rise to the top three.Antonella
- Everyone knows Antonella by now; someone very clever saw to that. Granted, she is a drop dead gorgeous girl and has great potential as a model of either the clothed or unclothed type - but my peeps ... man ... this broad cannot
sing! Two thumbs down at this hotsy totsy Joisey gal. Not because of photos of her with no clothes but because of the singing
from her with no voice
. Christ - the girl can't stay in tune worth a damn and has no right to be up there ... she not only lacks vocal quality but also stage presence. It's clear how and why she has made it this far, but come on people - wake up already and be a little more fair to those who really deserve to stay in this singing
- She's pleasant to look at, pleasant to listen to. For such a young lady (17 I think) I feel she handles herself very nicely before an audience and before the judges. I'm not sure how far she'll get because of the strong competition, but I wish her well.Stephanie
- She's definitely a talented girl. Immensely. She's also poised, yet not afraid to make friends with the entire stage while she's up there. No matter what ... she'll be a wonderful and successful performer. She has also chosen clothes that suit her well but don't distract. I can also see her in the top three or four ... easily.Leslie Hunt
- I put her in here even though she's not in the running anymore. To me, this was a crime. I thought Leslie had a wonderfully unique quality to her voice (too bad she didn't stay in her upper range more often) and had a sweet personality as well. She was one of those people who, when you look at her - the strong and powerful voice didn't match her small frame. I really liked her and I know, just like she knew, just like many of you knew, that there were far worse contenders in the line-up this week. Far worse. I'll miss this girl.Haley
- Sometimes there's someone you just can't bring yourself to like - she's one of those people (for me). I didn't like her from the start - didn't think she was really good enough to make it to the top 24 and I'd like very much for someone to tell her to stop being so smug because she AIN'T all that and she's already skating on thin ice.Sabrina
- This is the one I think everyone else really needs to watch out for. This girl has serious talent and an incredible amount of control over her voice. She too has a sweet disposition and an outstanding stage presence. Another tiny girl with a huge sound - wow.
A real quick rundown on the boyz (in my humble opinion) would be as follows:
My top four picks at this time - Phil
My least favorite four dudes in this order -Sundance
(just EW - everything about him)Sanjaya
(adorable and has a 'nice' voice but way too weak for the competition and doesn't belong there anymore. I really wanted him to do well and kick butt, but it just didn't happen)Brandon
(again, nice voice but maybe a smidgeon too cocky for my liking)Chris Sligh
(I have a bit of trouble getting past his "I'm just oh-so-funny and oh-so-clever" attitude - but he can sing well - can't take that away from him).
Honorable mention: AJ Tibaldo
. No way did he deserve such an early boot. This kid had a lot of talent and I think there were two other singers this week who should have been gone long before him. One of them had much longer hair and a pretty smile and the other one really needs to either break out the Gillette or shut the top buttons on his shirt.
But like I said - it's all just a matter of opinion.