March 09, 2005

Dirty Old Bloggers

Still quite new at this method of release (blogging), I am slowly learning my way around the various features and the lousy pitfalls.

In the early mornings, I enjoy peeking into several sites that I have found to be quite down-to-earth, entertaining, educational, humorous, artful, sarcastically brainy or perhaps, all of the above. Following this activity, I have now spent several days sitting for an hour or two just weaving myself through the
tangled web that is the "next blog" feature.

On rare occasion, the ever-elusive great blog presents itself and I can spend many minutes reading through much of the writings and feeling as though I've hit paydirt. I make a mental note of such blogs or bookmark them for return visits. But that's what we all do ... and that's not what this post is about.

I would just like to know, for the love of all that is green is springtime, what the hell goes through some people's minds as they sit down and dedicate precious moments of their lives to blogging? When I first started my own site, a wonderful friend advised me against the color scheme I chose. It was the black
background that you see now, but with red font. I guess I liked the contrast, and thought it looked pretty cool. My friend warned me however, that people don't need distraction while reading, they need "easy on the eyes." He suggested I use white or gray in my font, and thus my blog, as it is now, took shape.

Now that I've traveled on this particular road a bit, I can see that many others could use this fine advice. I was dragged to a site this morning which featured a red background with purple (not even dark, but light purple) font. I thought I was going to lose my breakfast. I'd rather watch my car rust than sit for too long a time staring at this mess. Needless to say, I didn't stay more than ten seconds. I couldn't tell you if this person had anything worth reading or not. It's a shame, really.

Another site I ended up at, featured little boxes all over it with chat screens and annoying icons in every corner. Right off the bat ... too busy ... moving on, thank you. Yet another site changed my cursor into a skull and yelled at me (in caps) to either leave a comment or go f*ck myself. "Okay," I thought, "If I must make a choice, I'd just as soon give the latter a go." And onward I traveled.

I do understand that people who blog have a right to do so in whatever style or fashion they desire. I almost always buy into the whole "to each his own" bit as well, but what genius came up with an option to have these god forsaken pop-up boxes that won't let you pass until you click to the next one, and the next one and the next one? I tried the other day to bypass one of these annoying sites and my server froze up leaving me no choice but to close down completely. What utter nonsense.

This could be, however a way to weed out the people who don't even deserve a blog. We could ban them forever from every blogdom on the Internet. Perhaps I should send a suggestion to the Blogger folks. Anyone who opts for this rude, pop-up form of self-expression should be likened to the dirty old man who stands in the shadows wearing only an overcoat ~ waiting for unsuspecting passersby to flaunt his fleshy package. They should be banned from any form of free speech for two years and should lose their right to blog forever.

Ugh. It's not always easy to be me between five and seven in the morning.

1 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

Hi Carol,

I agree with you about finding the non-pleasing to the eye blogs when surfing the "Next Blog" at the top. But then, sometimes you find a gem. I just figure that I can pass by those sites, not interested. My way of not supporting them is by not leaving a comment or by not reading.

Beth

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home