May 09, 2005

Up, Down and Away!

My blog-world has had to be shoved aside lately and it’s time for a re-think about how I can recapture it. No, I haven’t run out of writing topics (as if), and I surely haven’t lost interest in reading others’ posts. I’ve simply run out of time in the past few weeks ~ over and over again. Oh I usually make my way to the computer twice a day, but haven’t been able to devote the number of hours I used to ~ before things turned upside down at the job.

I apologize that I haven’t been able to visit as many blogs as I normally like to. I need to develop a little system for myself, and as soon as things calm down at work, that’s something I intend to do.

All in the past few weeks time, our office coordinator resigned, our office was suddenly relocated (across campus), another coworker moved on to a different department, we’ve taken on a way-too-huge task assigned by our Marketing people (poor timing), our little department was reassigned, and while trying to adjust to all the changes, we’re being flooded with bookings for those who have included the aquarium in their vacation plans.

Being a creature of habit for the most part, this is like a test of survival for me. Some days it feels more like Candid Camera ~ without the laughs.

My little routine in the mornings has changed; my routine in the afternoons has all but fallen apart, and in fact, the only constants in my life at present are my family, and those beloved hours when I lay still sleeping. Lately, I appreciate these constants more than ever.

My generally happy and upbeat demeanor has suffered somewhat and I find myself less tolerant ~ more testy. I’ve given some thought to throwing up my hands and leaving the job, but somehow, in addition to being a creature of habit, I also welcome a good challenge ~ so I’ll stay, believing that “this too shall pass.” Cripes, it better!

Sadly, this week will be more of the same ~ longer and harder hours, non-stop prioritizing, coming home in a heap, connecting (for way too short a time) with those I love, grabbing whatever computer time I can manage between getting ready for work in the mornings and fixing dinner in the evenings, and trying hard to look forward to the coming weekend when Ed will take me away from all this insanity.

When asked some weeks ago what I’d like most for my 50th birthday, I told Ed I’d like a slice of pie (that’s a slice of pizza for the non-New Yorkers) from my favorite pizzeria back home. I wasn’t joking. Neither was he, and he has made arrangements to take me “home” for a visit. We’ll leave on Friday and return ~ when the mood strikes.

Yesterday I received a lovely Mother’s Day greeting from an old neighborhood friend on Staten Island. I wrote back to him telling him about my upcoming plans and he quickly wrote back again saying that our favorite pizzeria had closed eight months ago. CLOSED? Pal Joey’s? I couldn’t even imagine this.

This place had been in business since the 1950s and as a young girl I would go there for take-out on Friday nights with my dad - watching them build pizza after pizza behind the glass partition as we waited for our own order.

It had been the most quintessential New York City style pizza I’ve ever seen or tasted. One slice would take up the better part of a dinner plate and the REAL mozzarella cheese they always used would string apart with every bite. The REAL olive oil would drip onto your plate as you folded your slice and raised it up. (nowadays many places use imitation crap)
A blend of just the right spices in a savory sauce (perfectly infused sweetness with a sharp edge) could be detected from nearly a block away. The thin and slightly crisp crust completed each pie as though it were a piece of art; a carefully ‘painted’ masterpiece.

Shit. So the one thing that I wanted most of all just isn’t going to happen. Still, with hotel reservations made, I’ll get to go back to the place of my birth and visit some of my favorite childhood sights. All in all, I feel lucky to have this opportunity amid such hectic and turbulent times at the office, and I know we’ll have a blast while we’re there! It’ll all be good.

If I seem scarce for the coming week, rest assured it’s not from lack of desire. I’d like nothing better than to roam about Blogger reading and commenting on post after post on all my favorite sites, and even taking in some new ones. It probably just can’t happen this week and for this, no one is sorrier than I.

The bad news is that I’ll be 50 years old when I return after the weekend, the good news is that I’m sure, come hell or high water, I’ll have something interesting to add to my posting list!

Stay well all, and thanks so much for stopping by!

29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems like most everyone's work is in upheaval lately. Wonder why that's going on.
Nice to go back to NY, though! That's a good birthday present! Too bad your favorite "pie" shop closed. Is there another one, a second choice you could go to get a slice?
blue2go

8:42 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

I don't work outside the home, but working in the garden had me pretty busy this past week. Today...they are predicting snow...wha?

I love to read your blog. Hope you get things back into a routine soon.

10:56 AM  
Blogger GratisGab said...

Hang in there Carol... Hope things ease off at work and COME BACK SOON! Have a wonderful 50th!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Raehan said...

Can I meet you in New York for that pizza?

And you don't have to apologize about not blogging. It must means you are less of an addict than the rest of us.

12:02 PM  
Blogger dan said...

You seem to me like an adaptable surviving type.

Good luck with the new routine and have a great birthday.

2:00 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

Carol,

I can understand the hectic schedule. Sometimes life just keeps coming and coming and you don't have the time to stop and take it all in. I am glad you are getting the chance to get away for the weekend. I am sorry to hear Pal Joey's closed. It's always a shame when a great restaurant goes to the wayside.

Happy Birthday!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I grew up in Buffalo - the pizza in Buffalo is *awful*. But (as my NYC roomates would remind me / blame me for on a regular basis). But Sophomore year a new place opened, "Sal's". It was AMAZING - the pizza was so good, on its own and especially compared to the cardboard w/ processed cheese that I was used to. I love a real slice - and I can appreciate your loss.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

Work has been hectic here as well. There must be something going around like a virus. But happy fiftieth birthday anyway. In case your hearing is failing in your twilight years, HAPPY FREAKIN' BIRTHDAY! :p

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always a good post Carol! Have fun :)

5:51 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Things will have to settle down soon enough Carol, and you'll be able to relax some.
I can relate to the pizza problem My favorite pizza went belly up. A victom to these 2 for 1 pizza joints, or should I say, here's more dough and we'll share the ingrediants from the other pizza and charge you more.
And whats wrong with 50?!!!!
He says as he's closing it on it swiftly . LOL

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :)

6:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Carol,
Happy birthday. Enjoy your time in NYC. I would love to go there someday!
Brad.

7:25 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Carol,

Happy Birthday!

that's cool about going to New York but I am sad about the pizza place. Now I am craving pizza like crazy. I don't think I've ever had pizza that sounds that good, being from Minnesota.

Have a good birthday and never feel guilty. Blogging is not supposed to be work. It's fun.

8:55 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Carol,

Happy Birthday!

that's cool about going to New York but I am sad about the pizza place. Now I am craving pizza like crazy. I don't think I've ever had pizza that sounds that good, being from Minnesota.

Have a good birthday and never feel guilty. Blogging is not supposed to be work. It's fun.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Unfortunately I can relate to the work whirlwind. It's also occurring here on a personal front, but I'm lucky that I'm self-employed so I can fit in some blog reading, but it's sporadic and much more sparse. (I haven't posted new...I'm "selfishly" reading as I work! :)

I'm elated you've giving yourself a special BD treat, but sorry about that pizza place! Hope you find a new tradition. I'll be thinking of you on the 14th...and you are hereby blog-ordered to cease stating how "old" 1/2 century is! After 35 or 40 it's vintage, dear Carol! :)

11:06 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Slightly-early happy birthday. I am sure we will pass on the street in NYC this weekend and never know it!

11:24 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Happy Birthday.
Hope things settle down for you soon..

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best pizza I ever had was in Arthur Avenue in Da Bronx!!

DOn;t work too hard!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Dave Morris said...

Carol, I've missed you but understand how life can sometimes arch its back and try to buck you off. Hang on and dig in your heels!

Take care, things'll get better.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Happy Birthday for this coming weekend! Hope you have a terrific time and come back refreshed with more hours in your day so you can tell us all about it! lol

4:56 AM  
Blogger L said...

Happy 50th Birthday! Wow!

7:54 PM  
Blogger jon said...

It's spring! I find it's getting harder and harder to sit inside on a computer when there are fish to be caught and an evil lawn that needs to be mowed despite my efforts to kill it.

11:34 PM  
Blogger dan said...

Thanks for dropping by WH

2:10 AM  
Blogger anumita said...

Happy 50th birthday!!!
The way you described the pie at Joeys, I was drooling buckets! Such a shame the place closed down. But I am sure you will have a lovely weekend and discover new places and other old places to eat!
Don't worry about not blogging enough... as long as you come back with loads of stories... I just love the way you write!

6:35 AM  
Blogger Alisa said...

I hope you are having a wonderful birthday!

It's only been a few days and I'm missing your posts.

:)

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gone but not forgotten - I've moved locales, keep it under your hat if you don't mind.

http://originallyreloaded.blogspot.com

And a big happy birthday to you, WH. Sorry about Pal Joey's....

8:01 AM  
Blogger mrhaney said...

well have a good time and now i am hungry after reading your post. there goes my diet again.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Lyvvie said...

It's amazing how food is a trigger for many wonderful old memories. What a pain you cannot relive them the way you wanted.

I'm sure your birthday won't be ruined. something better may come in it's place.

Hold tight to your memories.

love,
Lyvvie

1:35 PM  
Blogger mrhaney said...

i just wanted to invite you to my site. i just made an audio blog and i wanted to see what you thought of it. have you ever done one?

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home