June 22, 2006

Uh Oh. It's a Thought-Filled Thursday

~ I don’t understand the “Hidden Driveway” signs you sometimes see along winding roads. It just doesn’t seem like this should be my problem. It would make more sense to me if they put a sign at the end of the hidden driveway that reads “Remember … You Have a Hidden Driveway - Use Extra Caution Exiting and Entering.”

~ Deer Crossing signs are also pretty useless. Whether you hit a deer while you’re driving 15 miles per hour or 35 miles per hour, either your car or the deer are getting hurt … and what are we supposed to do? Stop and wait to see if a deer runs out? Seems to me if you’re in the country (as opposed to the city), you should probably assume there’s wildlife around. Something may run out. You may hit it … it’s really a crap shoot.

~ I like when people change around their template and re-decorate their blog. It’s fun to see what they come up with and what sort of background and font they choose. The Outpost has been the same since its birth. I wonder what, if anything, that says about me.

~ I used to hate it when I was following someone’s directions, took a wrong road, and had to make a k-turn in someone’s driveway. The homeowner would glare out their window at me like I was a potential serial killer. I used to say to myself “You snob. Don’t worry, you don’t have company.”

Now I am one of those people who look out the window the second I hear a car go up the road or (gasp) stop in front of our house. If they have the audacity to use my driveway to turn in, I say to myself, “You ass. What – are you lost? Can’t you read directions?”

~ I understand that motor vehicle laws differ according to state, but for the love of zippers on jeans, can’t we all get it together on the whole “right turn on red” issue? NY: no turn on red unless there’s a sign that says you can. NJ: right turn on red ALWAYS unless there is a sign that says not to. CT: right turn on red ALWAYS unless there is a sign that says not to. Why must it be a guessing game? (same thing applies to who has the right of way in traffic circles)

~ I once had a friend who would always order new and different foods wherever we dined. Many times she would scrunch her nose after tasting her food. I would look at her across my standard steak and potato or baked ziti and just shrug my shoulders. I purposely wouldn’t give her any of my food. She thought I was being mean and selfish, I just thought she was being consistently stupid. The friendship didn’t last very long.

~ An odd thought occurred to me the other day. I have worked many, many jobs, usually complaining about them in one way or another immediately after leaving (which was why I worked many, many jobs) … Yet I’ve written more about former jobs than most other topics … and usually on a positive slant. Go figure.

~ Speaking of former jobs, my last position at the aquarium was reservation clerk, but we sometimes had to help out in other departments when needed. One of the “extra duties” that I found fascinating was standing guard at an 18 foot model of the Titanic, just to make sure no one got too close to the glass casing (it was a million dollar exhibit). I’ve always been VERY interested in all-things Titanic, and since I knew I’d be asked to perform this task on several occasions, I read up on many facts so that I could inform people as they stood and stared.

The single most interesting fact I learned was that, had the ship simply stayed on course and hit the iceberg head on, it might have endured some minor damage and would have jostled the passengers a bit, but the hull would have stayed intact and it surely would not have sunk. The strongest section of a ship such as that is the pointed edge of the bow.

Iceberg Shmiceberg. Attempting the turn is ultimately what did her in.

~ Child protection laws differ from state to state too. I understand this on some level, but I found out years ago that in the State of Connecticut, there is absolutely no regulation as to how old children must be in order to be legally left home alone. A woman in our neighborhood was going to a third-shift job, night after night, leaving her seven and five year-old children in the house alone.

When someone reported this to the police, they said it was an example of poor parenting but that she was not breaking any law unless the children were being abused in some way.

I still find this rather discomforting.

~ A second thought on having worked so many jobs … Somewhere along my trip into adulthood, I was given to believe that life is too short to spent a third of it doing something you hate for the sake of a buck. As I got older, I realized you have to put up with a certain amount of shit in the workplace and I became more patient.

My point here is this. I often grumble about Blogger’s inability to keep things flowing without constant interruption (i.e. picture uploading, commenting, and sometimes even posting). Now, I’m not even getting paid to blog yet I have no intention of leaving.

Does this mean by the time I’m 65 I’ll be willing to work at one of those places on “Dirty Jobs” just for the heck of it? And I'll like it? Jeeziz, I hope not.

~ I couldn’t get my baby bird post up and running yet. We mislaid the USB cord for our new digital camera. It’s found now, but since this post was just about complete, I figured I’d publish it for now.

By the way, in this house, we now have about eight USB cords for various attachments. Only two of the eight have the same size connector. (will someone tell me why USB stands for "Universal Serial Bus" when there's nothing universal about them?)

Many moments have been wasted (by all three of us) trying to connect something that just doesn’t fit the receiving end. You’d think by now we would be clever enough to label the USBs.

Like I said, “You’d think.”

"Be careful of your thoughts, they may become words at any moment" Ira Gassen

30 Comments:

Blogger Alisa said...

I laughed when you mentioned "Dirty Jobs" I love that show! He does do some very very disgusting jobs.

I love my jobs until I leave them, and then I realize how much I really hated them. :-\

I'm really beginning to wonder about the Captain of the Titanic... he made a series of erroneous decisions.

8:59 AM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

If they had enough "Duct Tape" on the Titanic it would not have sunk. And the Band played on! What tune goes well on a sinking ship...Rubba Dub Dub three men in a tub...Just my rants and ravings this morning....

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha! love Mystic's comment. duct tape can fix anything!

in Iowa it's RTOR unless otherwise posted. that is the one thing that I can't stand about driving other places. that and the speed limit on the highways. is everybody 70 now or are still some at 65?

blog templates are just the backdrop. you let your words do the talking. that's what makes your blog appealing and a joy to read.

have a good one!

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog looks fine Carol, but if you want to change things here, it's easy to change with a Blogger website. Just look at your template and study it for a while if you are not familiar with html code.

But if you do change anything, rule number one is this: Back up the template on a 3.5 floppy first! If you make a big mistake, it's easy to reset the template. Cool post today! :)

12:14 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Oh, I do love the thoughts. Very fun. Love the thought of duct tape, where's Joe from News Radio when you need him (hosting Fear Factor but that's another story)?

No legal age? That's very odd.

I'm lucky, I found a job where they don't mind if I blog in between calls or even work on my cross stitch during the calls (when you're explaining for the 453rd time that we don't calculate the cost basis, for the love of God, keep your statements already!) and there's enough variety between phone and counter customers to keep me from dying of boredom. Whenever I think about applying for something else, I think "Will I get paid to blog at this job?" If the answer is probably not, the job isn't worth it, even if it is more money. What does that say about me?

12:45 PM  
Blogger Wicked H said...

My favorite thought inducing sign is: For Sale By Owner.

Who else is selling the house, the neighbor????????

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's nice that deer have a place to cross the road. But I think they should have crosswalk with lights for them. And a button for them to push. How many more deer have to bump into cars before someone takes action..

I also have never understood the need to order something different when eating out. "Why try new things" is one of my mottos in life..

That was a cool fact about the Titanic. I think I read somewhere that the Captain turned on purpose because he had stock in a movie studio or something..

4:38 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

I used to wonder about the weirdos who freaked whenever somebody turned around in their driveway. Some even paid for official looking signs that said "Not a turn-around." Then I spent some time in extremely rural Kentucky and saw it brought to a new level. If you turned around in the opening to their pastures, they'd frequently pile into their pickups, chase you down, pull over in front of you, and demand an explanation.

10:11 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Good post, as usual. There is a show on PBS called "Dirty Jobs" which I saw while I was out of town last week. Very interesting - and a good look into some of the crap jobs people have, such as cleaning out the storm drains in LA.

If I can find a free template that I like, I may change mine soon. I am getting tired of it - but I am too checp to pay someone to design one for me....LOL

12:59 PM  
Blogger Dave Morris said...

USB is just wrong on a number of fronts.

First, as you pointed out, they aren't "universal."

Second, they misspelled "cereal."

Third, "bus?" There isn't even a large van involved.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree about the hidden driveway signs! I also love your quote choice.

5:26 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

Carol, you never cease to amaze me with your thoughts. I love these!

The whole right turn thing - very annoying state-to-state. If it is any consolation, MN is the same as CT - always allowed unless a sign says you can't.

One thing I always wondered about the "hidden driveway" signs was that once you post a sign, it doesn't seem that hidden anymore. Why doesn't it just say, "Hey! Your driveway is right here."

2:31 AM  
Blogger Jezzy said...

Love the random thoughts. Also love that you're doing okay now. x

2:39 AM  
Blogger J said...

Hey! Glad you are well.

Pennsylvania has really taken advantage of its ability to communicate through road signs. There are safety reminders placed randomly all throughout the countryside. It's a little startling to be driving down a backwoods route at 11 PM and see a giant yellow sign suddenly appear out of the darkness, exhorting you to STAY ALERT!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

i must admit that when I get frustrated with Blogger, I have to remember it is a FREE services and a tremendous tool for many people to communicate and share...so I will hang in there. As for changing my template, I once started on it and then got frustrated with the time it took to find the correct places to place the code, so I am 'stuck in second gear' for a while longer.

11:36 AM  
Blogger James Behrens, OCSO said...

Am back to blogging after a long hiatus - hope you have been well - James

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carol... ah yes, those "universal' serial bus ports.... there are 6 behind my tower, and two at the top... I have three 4 port hubs plugged into 3 of those ports, which gives me a total of seventeen ports for USB devices, which seems like an overkill, ...buuuuuut!. one for each printer,(2 printers) 3 for my cams, one for the scanner, two for my external hard drives, one for my super quad speakers interface,(the speakers have flashing LED lanps in them)... one for my desk lamp, one each for interconnecting the other two computers, one for the pen and touchpad for my graphics, one for the kids IPods, one for the mouse, one for the keyboard, and that just leaves me with one port to spare... maybe I will use it for an attachment which does domestic things, like Ironing the cat, or vacuuming the light bulbs, or polishing the carpet? lol....Kev the cool blue one.....

9:50 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I think the fact your template is the same since birth represents a sign of your stability and comfort within yourself. Of course, on the other this says a lot about me LOL!!

Wonderful info on the Titanic, you've had some fascinating jobs :o)

12:17 AM  
Blogger tonch said...

Having the same template.. what does that say about you?

Well, it's black and simple... so I guess that makes you... hmmm i wish i were more racist so I could think up something offensive :p

The moment you change it to pink with flying flashing things everywhere is the moment I leave. Keep up the sexy blogging :)

2:35 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

The people who live in the first house after you turn into our neighborhood put in a circular driveway (in addition to the regular one-it looks stupid). They found so many people using it to turn around that now they have blocked it off with two urns on each end, so no one can even turn in there. It was dumb to put it in in the first place!!

Thanks for the visit. I will try to clean up the metal frogs and slather them with either petroleum jelly or spray them with a clear sealer. I should have sprayed them when they were new, but it didn't occur to me.

9:06 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

Wow, so many good thoughts to think about! I like to try new food, but not while eating out. I don't want to waste the money for sometime I don't like. At home I can (try) to fix things that don't taste that good! Duct tape and/or a bungee cord can fix just about anything!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

I love posts like this. The restaurant bit is quite funny, and telling of both of your personalities. I enjoyed this muchly!

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some great thoughts Carol.
One that hit home for me, since I've waitressed for over 30 years (manager now) is the boldness of the customers as of late; say in the last 5 years or so. Trying something new, is not new. Expecting not to pay for it because "it is not what I expected" is. It's as if they think it can go back on the shelf, like the outfit that they didn't like and returned to the department store. I mean really! What nerve. I have to bite my tongue...but since you mentioned it...

And mention of the no turn on red:
What's gets to me on that score is that in Massachsetts - one of the last states to change the antiquated law - most of those who aren't turning on red, even when it's allowed, are the old farts who NEVER turn on red anyway because they don't know they can (signs are only posted if it is NOT allowed). And doesn't it get to you when they have no intention of turning but they are blocking your way? Light changes. Straight across.

I guess I'm turning into an old fart myself or else this wouldn't bother me. LOL.

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you comfortable with your blog and don't feel the need for change.Myself im always changing mine.I get bored so easily.

12:03 PM  
Blogger RC said...

do you think you'll redisgn your blog?

If you do, be careful there may be some deer crossing and private drive signs...

do you think they should put warning ice berg signs all over the glaciers in alaska?

hum?

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the "hidden driveway" signs are for delivery people, not the actual homeowners.

I always wave the person glaring out their front window at me when I'm turning around in their driveway. I'm constantly getting lost, no matter how good the directions are, so I'm used to the glares.

Once I find something in a restaurant that I like I order that same thing every time I'm there. My father says it's because I'm a wuss. I say it's because I'm smart.

That Titanic fact is really neat, but if that had happened, the movie wouldn't have been so great.

And if you're tired of Blogger I suggest trying out Word Presses new blogging tool. www.wordpress.com

Great post, I love your rambling thoughts.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

funny how the state laws are all different in the US unlike in India and yes if u like new blog templates itz high time u check my blog :))

5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I change my template and my blog platform in the vain hope it will transform the shit I write, into something of merit, by my own standards that is. Alas, it never works. Whereas you, with your talent for narrative, don't have to rely on the "cosmetics" of blogging in order to feel satisifed with your writing. A change of font or colour scheme won't make a damn bit of difference to the quality of writing. Having said that, I'm so glad you got rid of your original, purply colour. If you'd persisted with that, I'd have been blind by now.

Your friend who ordered new and different foods wasn't stupid for doing that, only for thinking (I'm guessing) it ought to taste like something familiar - it's no good complaining about a curry because it's nothing like Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. Anyway, you are such a meanie. Remind me never to dine out with you.

"Does this mean by the time I’m 65 I’ll be willing to work at one of those places on “Dirty Jobs” just for the heck of it? And I'll like it?". At a guess, I'd say, yes. As long as the folk you work with are okay. The wisdom of age?

The most interesting aspect of the Titanic was seeing Kate Winslett nude.

6:29 AM  
Blogger shpprgrl said...

I'm with you..definitely not blazing a trail trying new things in restaurants. At my favorite restaurants, I order the same thing, every time. My friends and family can order for me, which is good because I'm always running late! *ha*

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much to absorb here! I'm feeling worried for those kids and sad for those people on the Titanic. I also keep my blog the same. For one thing I don't know how to change it. Another, the sameness brings me comfort.

There's a tip jar at the Cafe Del Sol here in Floyd that says "Don't like Change? Leave it here."

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home