March 23, 2005

La Lengua de los Estados Unidos de América

Language has always intrigued me. Aside from the obvious - that it’s a primary method of communication - the fact that there are hundreds of different languages, all of which have been historically set in place to meet a common need, is almost more than my brain can grasp!

Admittedly, I’m one of those people who believe that one should speak the language set forth as a country’s primary. Without getting into a full history and/or geography lesson, it’s clear that English, although in rough form, has been the primary language of the United States for centuries now. It bugs me at times (often, actually) that people who decide to take up residency here fail to learn our language, and eke by for years and years without so much as attempting to learn it. What doesn’t help is the fact that our state governments have determined it necessary to placate the newcomer, aiding in their ignorance, by issuing brochures, pamphlets, varied official documents and forms, and hundreds of signs, in both English AND Spanish. Can you say taxpayer-expense?

Before you get yourself into a dither over this topic, hear me out.

“Ignorance,” as used in the above statement, is not meant in a derogatory manner. Ignorance is unknowing; it’s as simple as that. Being ignorant of the English language doesn’t mean a person is stupid, foolish even, or less important. No way, no how. For example, I am totally ignorant to languages such as French, German or Italian. I just don’t have a clue. I’ve never put myself into a position where I needed to learn these languages. However, if I were planning to pack my bags and make a permanent move to a foreign land, you could bet your gluteus maximus that I’d have my nose in the books long before my flight, so that I could at least make myself clear to those with whom I need to come in contact. Not everyone is as concerned about communication, apparently. This is where I get rather flustered.

The first leg of this two-part post may seem arrogant, impatient and a bit “I don’t give a shit-ish.” All I can hope is that you will read Part II with a clearer understanding about my position in this matter. It doesn’t take much to learn simple and basic English. By simple and basic, I mean to say that if you have just left the airport and were accosted by a group of thugs while waiting for a taxi, it would be helpful to be able to call 911 to get assistance without first having to go through a taxpayer-provided interpreter just to determine that you need help.

In closing Part I, I just want it to be understood that I generally don’t expect from anyone what I wouldn’t expect to do my own self. But when it comes to moving to a foreign country on a permanent basis, please folks, for the love of all that is as simple as A B C, pick up a book or some tapes and at least learn enough so that you will be understood. Please!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home