June 06, 2005

With Eyes Half Closed ...

Hoo boy, I really really need to update my Blogger links. My list is way old by now and some of those blogs have since passed on to the great beyond. More importantly, I have so many more wonderful sites to add. Soon. Very soon. Remind me.

In the meantime, as some may have noticed, I’ve been trying hard to make my rounds and leave apologetic comments on those who I haven’t visited so often lately. Blanket statement here for all those who stop by … Weary Hag has been under great duress at the workplace during the past two months, has been experiencing bouts of general depression, and has just plain NOT been herself. Her desire to maintain daily visits and twice-weekly posts apparently isn’t strong enough to drive her to do so, but she truly misses both activities. Hopefully, she will regain her composure before long and will refrain from killing anyone in the meanwhile.

Now… for lack of better posting material this evening, I offer some more Hagtoids (factoids about the Hag) for your reading pleasure.

42. I had a miniature Dutch bunny as a pet when I was a kid and used to walk him on a leash around my neighborhood. He seemed to enjoy this activity.

43. There was a crazy woman in my neighborhood named Mary. Mary used to walk up to poles and trees and just touch them lightly with both hands, then talk to herself as she walked away. I think she held the secrets to the universe.

44. My fiancé is currently in St. Louis and I miss him terribly.

45. I have varicose veins in one leg and my daughter at four years old asked me one day how I got my “very close veins.” It was the first and last time I laughed about having varicose veins.

46. I like to be a dark room but only after my rods and cones have adjusted. I prefer darker rooms to brightly lit rooms any day of the week.

47. I have an extremely low tolerance to perfumes and colognes. I don’t mind shower or bath soap smells because they’re not overpowering and usually dissipate after a short while anyway.

48. I went to see The Fifth Dimension in Atlantic City many years ago and before the show my date took me to dinner. He ordered crabmeat cocktail as a joint appetizer and I broke out in hives from head to foot just before the show started. Who knew?

49. I am a lover of all things ichthyological. I do not, however, enjoy EATING things that smell like rancid socks.

50. Elvin Jones once flirted with me at a club in Manhattan during and after his performance. (famous Jazz drummer)

51. I have perfect pitch. (this means I can sing a given note by recalling it in my head with no accompanying music)

52. I once dumped a friend’s Harley on an entrance ramp to the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn. Fortunately I had just started out and merely dented the thing. Some girls just don’t belong at the helm of an old Electra-Glide.

53. As a young girl, I lost my first tooth in Central Park Zoo while eating a candy apple.

54. I like Healthy Choice frozen meals but find the pork too fatty. Ew.

55. I could stand to lose 30 pounds but cannot tolerate dieting advice from people who could stand to lose 150. I just want to haul off and slap the dogmeat out of them.

56. I also take great offense at these same people pleading with me to quit smoking. All I want to say is “Quit eating twinkies, candy and ice cream because your second-hand bulge is kinda killing me too.”

57. I like to listen to sad songs when I’m in a funk. By all the rules, this shouldn’t help, but it somehow does.

58. If I were inclined to board a plane, I would like to visit the Sherwood Forest in England. I know there’s nothing there, but I’m just sayin.

59. I was always envious of my best friend (female) who could do the two-finger whistle thing that could be heard clear across an arena.

60. My single phobia in life is emetophobia*. It’s severe. It has interfered with my ability to partake in many fun activities throughout my lifetime. (*fear of vomiting)

61. If the average person has six million hair follicles on their head, I have at least twenty-five million.

62. I have a theory about marriage. I think people shouldn’t be allowed to marry until they reach 40; it’s not until then that you can really decide what it is that you do NOT want in life. I believe knowing what you want in a partner is only part of it, and maybe even a less important part. Knowing what you DON’T want and avoiding that at all cost is critical to true happiness.

63. I have finally found true happiness with my life partner. He rocks and rolls my world with every breath he takes and I don’t even think he has to try to. This is VERY cool.

64. I slept for two hours during the day today ~ mostly because it was so hot and sticky in the house and I felt lonely and low. I’m never up this late anymore. I’ll want to slap myself in the morning.

Time to check on the boyz (cats) and summon the tuxedo clad one for his spot on the bed.

G’nite all.

35 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Glad you have a new post; I've been checking every day!

Re # 55: a doctor, who was at least 80 pounds overweight, had the audacity to tell me I needed to start an exercise program and quit smoking. This was said while he puffed away on his cig. I laughed in his face!

If we are ever in NYC again at the same time, I'll bring my Scrabble set and we can sit in Battery Park and play all day! But I won't ride in your car, and I have to drink hot coffee - or cold, sweet tea!

Welcome back, Carol.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Dave Morris said...

Crazy woman? My aunt Maymie used to talk to her plants - but I don't mean just idle chat while watering. She would read to them.

Ed is in St. Louis right now? Tell him to call me, we'll have a beer! Email me if you want.

Sad songs most definitely help when you're "funkin'." I'm not sure why, but it might have something to do with being reminded that whomever wrote that song must be far worse off than you.

Your advice about choosing a partner is incredible. That's so true - be more careful about things you DON'T want. 'Lantic oceans, I've learned something new today! And completely dated myself by using the phrase 'Lantic oceans.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Nick Ward said...

Wow. I too suffer depression and its a bitch, and yes, sad soungs always make *me* feel better.

BUT, the best way to make yourself feel better when you're in a 'funk' is to just sit down, grab a cat, and stroke it until you can't see your lap for cat hairs. I swear they *know* when you're feeling blue!

And you're right about the 40 years old before marriage thing too! Take care.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're really going to inspire me to do my 100 things about me list. But it will take some time to think about. I love that you can get so much so condensed. Love the term hagtoids too. I had something else to say, but I forgot it! Feel better soon. PS I want to play scrabble with you and Kenju (but not online).

11:51 AM  
Blogger annush said...

I am sorry you haven't been yourself lately. That's too bad. I, and am sure other people too, have missed your writings. I hope things will get better for you.

Thanks for sharing more of yourself with us.

1:40 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

Carol,

I'm sorry that you've been so busy and a bit down lately. I know it gets tough running around and getting worn out. I do miss your almost daily posts, but I do understand. I'm just happy to see anything new!

I loved this: 57. I like to listen to sad songs when I’m in a funk. By all the rules, this shouldn’t help, but it somehow does.
I understand it completely. I never knew why, but sad songs do say so much.

Beth

2:30 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

I have a crazy Mary here too . She walks aroung moving news papers from one house to another.
I hope work gets sorted out for you soon. Two months and its not settled yet, sucks

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Depression...I hate that SOB. I'm glad you're still writing despite how you feel. Go Carol!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Carol,
I have been in a similair lull myself. Work has been a big drain. I enjoyed this post. I will have a new one soon!
Regards,
Brad.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Your posts and comments are always great and are always worth waiting for.
Hope things improve at your job soon..

8:12 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

So good to hear from you again Carol. Sorry to hear about the pressure at work and bouts of depression. Hope Ed is due home from St Louis really soon.

I certainly agree with you on #62, I think it has something to do with the fact that we know so much more about ourselves at that age, likes, dislikes, tolerance levels etc. Which I guess is what you said already lol

Take care :)

8:15 PM  
Blogger Rabbity-Sniff said...

I just read your latest post. Wow. How interesting. How do you make everything so interesting? I visited your site because Jon (ziggythoughts, how-not-to-guide to parenting and marriage) seemed to like your site so much. I met him nearly fifteen years ago and he is the only person in the world that makes me laugh so hard my stomach and my face hurts. It seems like you appreciate that quality in him also : ) I'll be back for more about your interesting life!!

8:16 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I love the expression hagtoids. That is cute.

43. Hey. What makes her crazy? I talk to trees. Of course, they don't answer me back so maybe that is the difference.

55. I can't tolerate dieting advice from anyone. I always want to say "Yes, I am overweight. Gee, thanks for noticing. Why, no, I didn't realize that eating less and exercise was the trick! I'm cured!" I don't say it.

56. I am so sick of non-smokers. Not that I smoke a ton (only at the Chalet) but they just passed a law recently making a ton of restaurants/bars smoke free. Hello? Can't you just go eat at Baker's Square and leave us alone?

62. Woo-hoo! Only 2 more years to go. Now if I could only find a man. Sigh.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Nothing like a good fish to brighten my day, I always say...well, I don't always say it, but sometimes I say it...actually I don't think I've ever said it, but it seems like it would work.

Chin up darlin'...you are a great writer and you always brighten my day.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Nothing like a good fish to brighten my day, I always say...well, I don't always say it, but sometimes I say it...actually I don't think I've ever said it, but it seems like it would work.

Chin up darlin'...you are a great writer and you always brighten my day.

11:00 AM  
Blogger GratisGab said...

Weary - You're not alone. I've been trying to juggle the blog and real world in vain myself offlate. Stopping by after a long long time and have missed your pieces!

Hang in there! :)

1:36 PM  
Blogger sidcruise said...

A very nice blog you do have good skills in writing underneath good and heavy lock of hair

Cheers!

2:58 PM  
Blogger L said...

I hope things get less stressful for you soon :)

11:27 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

I'm going on vacation for a whole month and probably won't update my blog until I get back, but people can still leave comments on my current post if they wish.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Lyvvie said...

I love Hagtoids.

couple similarities!

My family used to raise dutch bunnies for show. At one point we had around 300 of them caged in our garden. The poop was used for fertilizer on the veggie patch.

I have not vomited in over 10 years. Don't know why.

I don't get the study of fish/ smelly socks connection...

Hope you don't mind, but I've tagged you. See my blog for details. If you're still in a funk, you don't have to of course.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

My tooth hurt just reading the candy apple one. it still does.

what a nice blog. you have quite a following too.

i have veryclose veins and i can whistle with two fingers to split an eardrum...i'm lucky only on the last one...

melancholy is a slower downer. i have it alot too...don't know why...but i wish you sunshine and feelings of tremendous joy...

12:09 PM  
Blogger dan said...

Weary, I'm just glad you can stop by my blog whenever you can. It doesn't matter if it's once a year.

As for updating your links, have you tried blogrolling.com? They make it much less painful.
As for Sherwood Forest, I live a bout 20 minutes drive from there and there is this humongously sized oak tree which was once supposed to be the home of Robin Hood. If you do a google search on Major Oak Sherwood Forest, you'll find pictures of it there. It's all held up by chians and pulley's it's so old and dead.

Hope you feel better soon. Sorry for the essay.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Raehan said...

Never apologize for not coming by often enough. We have enough in life that produces guilt. Blogging should not.

(I write this as I am currently feeling completely overwhelmed by my blogroll)

I think we both have the 25 million hair follicles. A blessing and a curse.

I'm jealous of the perfect pitch.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like dark rooms too. I want to live in a cave when I grow up.

I should obviously stop by your office more often. We can chat. Our witty discourse will be the envy of the proletariat in their padded cubicles.

10:30 PM  
Blogger sidcruise said...

Pleasure indeed, yes its kinda stuffy in there :)...

Time, you been fishing lately?

Keep posting more..

2:34 PM  
Blogger Zube said...

Sorry to hear you're in a funk. I do quite enjoy the Hagtoids, so keep 'em coming. No pressure or anything. ;)

And on the marrying at 40 thing, though I got married when I was 28 and 11 months, what you say is so, so true. I think folks should always err on the side of waiting.

Some people get so wound up in their 'Secial Daaaaaay' that they forget about the important part. A lifetime of laying in bed next to the same person, and loving them and wanting to smack them upside the head at the same time.

3:19 PM  
Blogger katie said...

Weary-
If I see your fiance on the street I will tell him to hurry home to you! I hope he is enjoying this 90 plus degree weather we are having here in St. Louis!
Hope that you are feeling better.

3:38 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

So sorry to hear you are so overworked and not yourself...

A low tolerance to perfumes and colognes...Oh no...

5:37 PM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

You seem to have struck a cord with the group here...You may have missed your calling until now. Write a book. All I can add is I loved your daughters comment about your veins. That was a keeper. Looked at your picture. The Bass was too small...put it back. Sleep well.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Rob Seifert said...

Living life on life's terms is something I sometimes resist too. Still, no ups without downs, no joy without sadness. I need to drop about 75lbs myself, I suppose that means I can't comment on anybody else... ;-) Keep posting, I like the way you write.

RCS

2:48 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Hey I like the new Picture. :D

4:25 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Oh and thank you for putting me on your Links :D

4:26 AM  
Blogger anumita said...

I like the crazy woman! You never spoke to her?
And yes, bugger the fatties who tell you to lose weight!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Justine said...

RE: "(47) low tolerance for perfumes" me too. But I do love flowers.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Johnny Virgil said...

man, it takes me longer to read the comments on your blog than it does to make my rounds to my other favorites. Feel better soon!

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home