March 21, 2006

When Animals Speak

I was flipping through some of my zoo and outdoor photos recently when I noticed a disturbing trend. Either I am the world’s worst photographer ~ often capturing all BUTT the moment ~ or animals have the ability to spin on a dime within a fraction of a second. Or both. In any case, they sure do have much to say.


"Another camera ... Quick! There's a clump of trees over here!"

"No no no, it's LEFT foot out, left foot in, you can't shake it all about till you've followed all the steps!"

"Pose for you lady? In a pig's ass I will."

"Hmph ... I don't think we're in Kenya anymore."


"I got your stripes right here lady ... get your own stars."


All of the above photos were taken at Roger Williams Zoo in Providence, Rhode Island.

And sometimes, just sometimes ... the creatures actually cooperate!

"These morning workouts are killing me - though it does appear I've lost a bit of shell this time around."

"Phew! Just made it. I love playing "chicken" with fishing boats."

"Put that camera away or we shall SPIT in your general direction!"

"What? You want "smile"? This is the best I can do."


"Mmmm... my little sugar pie. WHAT'S THIS? You've shaved your neck again?"

"I was going for the muddy-foot look. Do you think I've captured it?"

"And on tonight's menu ... woodpecker with a side of sparrow..."

[Meet the theraphosa blondi - this goliath bird spider lives in the jungles of South America and feeds on small birds. With legs fully stretched, he is the size of your average dinner plate. He is about as harmful to humans as a wasp, and even at that will only attack when threatened (i.e.boxed in, etc). This guy was a guest at the aquarium during a special exhibit they featured during my employ there. And nope, I didn't touch him.]

*Congrats to June for scoring the highest on my little quiz (Ed and SJ don't count - they are family!). Thanks to all who took the test - hope it was as fun for you as it was for me!*

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

And I couldn't pass this one up for all the tea in England ...

"When I see professional clowns, mimes, or people that make balloon animals, I always think of their relatives and how disappointed they must be." Source Unknown

31 Comments:

Blogger Grant said...

Re: mimes and clowns. At least they're not wearing a chicken suit on the side of the road. Come to think if it, that's not clearly worse.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love those pictures! The animals definatly weren't playing your game Carol... :)

10:14 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Strange, I always seem to have the same problem. I'm certain it amuses the animals!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Wicked H said...

Haglette Doolittle, who knew?

2:20 PM  
Blogger Alisa said...

Awwww LOL... my pictures from the zoo never come out well enough to tag with funny lines.

Animals hate me.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ha! George's brother told me about how he trained a friend in the art of balloon blowing. His friend's family was aghast at their plan to make balloon animals at an Expo. The friend had until then been working on a farm, but needed to raise a heap of money to realise his dream of training as a helicopter pilot. In 2 months he made what would have taken him 10 years on the farm... and George's brother is now a university lecturer, which makes his parents proud, but the kids are still far more impressed by his balloon animals and clown tricks!

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have ruined my chance at inner peace with that spider. However, the giggles I have from that quote cancels out any hard feelings. :)

6:17 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Yeah, I'm not so great at photographing animals. They move on me as well.

Loved the captions. And the spider may be harmless but eww.

10:06 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Love the photos, Carol and the captions are superb.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

Love the photos, quotes, all of it. It's been a long time since I've been to the zoo. And really ... where can you see Lions? Only in Kenya!!!

12:19 AM  
Blogger sidcruise said...

Real Nice pics..you do likr Butts heehee..Nice quotes at the end.

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

taking pictures of my own cat and dog are incredibly difficult because neither can sit still very long and both hate the sound the digital camera makes.

I loved the zebra photo!! LOL!

thanks for stopping by my blog!!

8:54 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

Ha ha those photos are great! The captions even better!

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love those captions.You have quite the imagination.Im surprised i had the high score as well.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Just a little bit of information. If you approach a Tapir and they turn their butt toward you, move back out of the way, because they have a nsasty habit of launching their spray and it goes several feet!! Found this out the hard way at the Belize Zoo.

4:39 PM  
Blogger J said...

You have had a lifetime of achievement.

My best animal butt picture: http://zilal.byondhome.com/gs3/simutrip04/pic21.html

5:21 PM  
Blogger katsmeow said...

That was fun...At first I was thinking you just liked butt shots. Personally, I prefer them on humans...LOL!

Actually, all the animal pics made me want to go to the zoo. I haven't been to one in ages.

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Hey Carol," said Mr. Tiger, "where are the tiger pictures?"
---
kidding aside, those are some great pictures... and I especially like the captions.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Carol, these were fantastic! I luv the zoo :o)

1:03 AM  
Blogger the Monk said...

great pics...and you have a knack for picking great quotes...i wish Gandhi was better understood (and appreciated) in his own country, though...

6:56 AM  
Blogger Dave Morris said...

Nice photos you've ass-embled!

Grant has reminded me of a chicken suit story. I will blog about it in the next day or two.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

i am the worst photographer. yours were good.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Ronald said...

Hey, you take a good pic Carol. I particularly like the one with the elephant facing the camera. I'd be very concerned though about the number of times animals appear to take one look at you, swivel, and shake their booties. It must be difficult not to take it personally :-)

9:09 AM  
Blogger Puggyspice said...

Great pics and captions.

But that is one creepy arachnid.

10:14 AM  
Blogger brooksba said...

I loved the pictures of the animals (except the spider. Ick! Now my skin is crawling).

What I don't understand is why I have a fascination (that dates by to my first trip to a zoo) of capturing EVERY.SINGLE.ANIMAL there. When I was young, my mom would just lose a roll or two of the film and not develop it.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of shaking of the bootie!

I wanted to let you know that I adapted you hagexperiment for loose leaf. I wanted to do it but the link had expired. It was fun!

5:21 PM  
Blogger R.Powers said...

Funny, I find animals quite chatty also.
Love the ballon quote!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Gel said...

Love the photos and your clever captions!
Years ago, on my first trip to CA, my husband couldn't understand why I took so many photos of the animals at the San Diego Zoo. (This was well before I took up photography as an additional career.)I told him they "asked me to." That's not nearly as clever as your captions, but it shows the close connection I feel w/ animals.

The other day, a family of deer returned to our backyard. My kids have pet names for them and the birds.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Camphor said...

I loved the pictures, but the captions beat all.

"Mmmm... my little sugar pie. WHAT'S THIS? You've shaved your neck again?" <-- LOL

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the photos.. even the butt photos :-). My favourite has to be the two elephants doing a little jig.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Anjali said...

What utterly delightful pictures! Thanks for this.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home