February 25, 2006

Hag-iosyncrasies?

I was tagged back in January by Mystic to name five of my weirdest habits. I promised I’d play along and in typical style – here I am one month later making good on that.

1 ~ I cannot work in an office setting unless my back is against a wall. If I have to look at a wall all day, you might as give me a nightcap and tuck me in. In keeping with this quirk, when I dine out, I must sit facing most of the restaurant. I cannot eat comfortably with my back to the unknown. At home, however, I can eat anytime, anywhere … my computer chair faces the wall and I am perfectly comfortable. Go figure.

2 ~ At home, I eat dinner with a desert-size fork. On rare occasion, if I sit down and someone has set the table mistakenly giving me a regular fork, I will actually get up and change it before eating. I have no explanation for this. I also used to prefer a small luncheon plate to a large dinner plate but somehow I broke myself of that habit some years back.

3 ~ I don’t know if this constitutes a habit or not, but I will not take off my shoes in front of people. I hate feet. I think they’re yucky except on babies (which I LOVE) and little kids and perhaps this is why I don’t want to remove my own shoes around others. I don’t mind being barefoot at home, but in a public setting? Never.

4 ~ I take forever to eat a meal. For this reason, I rarely ever used my lunchtime at work for eating. I would rather eat at my desk before or after lunchtime and enjoy my free time without having to choke my food down. If there was a reward for being the last to finish at the table, I would win every time – hands down.

Now that I think of it, I guess I have a few eating issues. I cut my meat into tiny, kid-size bites before eating it. I’m sure many other people have noticed this about me in the past, but it took Ed to point it out to me and make me fully aware of it. The first time, he just stared and smiled while I continued cutting and eating until I asked him what was up. I think I know why I do this, but I’ll save it for another post ~ besides, I’m sure it’s not on your list of “top ten things I simply must research.”

5 ~ I belch in words, and quite loudly. PLEASE don’t misunderstand. I don’t do this in public and always keep it in full check in the company of others … but we all burp, and I guess somewhere along the way, I thought it handy to multi-task this evil little activity. What better way than to suddenly come out with “WOW” or “WHAT” (or heavens, even people’s names!) while you’re expelling unwanted air.

Now I’m supposed to tag five more people but I have a feeling many have already done this. Instead, please feel free to toss out a couple of odd quirks about yourself here in comments if you’d like to.


“Certain flaws are necessary for the whole. It would seem strange if old friends lacked certain quirks”Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

25 Comments:

Blogger Anjali said...

"I hate feet. I think they're yucky ..."
That made me laugh. I don't know about feet in general being yucky, but I know that I tend to be squeamish about putting mine on display. Hadn't occured to me actually, until I read this post :)

9:51 AM  
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

On item #1 you and I are in complete agreement, and #5 delights me to no end because it is just so very unexpected. WOW!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Ronald said...

It's my guess you're a natural performer. Hence the need to sit facing the restaurant, or the office, when there's a potential audience. This would explain why it's not an issue at home.

As this is a family blog I'll refrain from quipping about the fork.

Others have fetishes, but you go one better, and with ease - hence, you have a 'feetish'.

I do exactly the same when I'm at work, eating well before I have my lunch-hour - I'll be damned if I'm going to use my own time for the mundane task of eating. I much prefer to go for a walk. As for cutting your meat up into tiny bite size pieces I don't see that as a quirk, it's more like commonsense. I bet you're digestion is all the better for it.

Wow! Belching in words. Again, this is not a quirk but a much sought after skill that would enhance any CV (curriculum vitae). Personally, I like to belch expletives. The ruder the better.

Defined as a peculiar behavioural habit I don't like the word quirk. Let's face it, it sounds like some dreadful, unmentionable parasite, clinging to one's nether regions - 'I have quirks!' I much prefer to think of them as inimitable characteristics.

1:30 PM  
Blogger R.Powers said...

You sound perfectly normal. Feet are weird.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Alisa said...

I won't take my shoes off with other people around either. My feet are nasty. I know this. I regcognize this. I do not subject others to their foulness. I couldn't agree with you more on this one!

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A woman who belches words... Ed is a lucky man Carol! [i mean this]

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carol,
1. Have you heard of Feng Shui? The "energy" is not good if you to sit facing the wall. I never do either.
2. Maybe this one springs back to childhood habits. You may have been given a small fork and it just stuck.
3. I love feet...not mine particularly, but I've had a foot "feetish" for as long as I can remember. I like to get a look at the feet that go along with the rest of the body.
I do though remember hiding mine in the sand at the beach.
4. I eat faster than fast. Not a good habit for sure, but it's me. My husband thinks it's because I grew up in a big family and I was afraid we would run out of food (oops I almost wrote "foot" instead of "food"...must be the fetish.)
5. I've never noticed this from anyone else. You made me laugh.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Ahh I love reading your posts, WH.
I'm the same way with number one. As for number three, I figure people don't like to look at my feet, so I don't take my socks off around them, however, when I'm at home, I can't walk around in socks, so I have to go barefoot.

A lot of fun!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed reading about your little quirks. Your right.. I have done this meme, a couple of months ago. Thank goodness it only asks for five.. I could go on and on. :-)

10:14 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

Are you going to post a "how to" regarding the belching? My son would be terribly interested, not to mention envious.

11:11 AM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Thanks Carol for the insight but it brings up a few questions. We won't even go to the Belching thingy! But I noticed by your profile picture that you were hugging a tree. You never mentioned that your being a tree hugger as a weird habit..Hmmmmm? Verrrry Interesting!!!!

2:04 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I think I prefer to sit facing the door at restaurants because you never know when the mafia is going to send a hit man after you. Not that I'm concerned about the mafia but the whole point is, you never know. It could happen.

I totally get the whole fork thing. I prefer smaller forks and especially spoons. Soup spoons at restaurants completely annoy me because they hurt the sides of my mouth. My mouth is small in stature but big at heart.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Love your "Hag o syncrasies!

If i eat a meal, i eat one vegetable first, then the next then next etc!

10:53 PM  
Blogger the Monk said...

me been slacking off...I think i actually missed a post of yours...my turn to say sorry, I guess...I don't mind feet, though...i find it comforting, somehow, something says I'm comfortable....as for the wall thing, well, I am trying to figure... ;)

12:28 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I prefer to eat with a salad fork. The larger ones just get in the way. I do eat fast, however, so much so that mr. kenju mentions it frequently. I always want to sit where I can see the door in a restaurant; don't know why. Mr. kenju says I am bordering on OCD and recommend that I watch "Monk". I am only mildly compulsive, I think.....LOL

1:05 AM  
Blogger Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

watz life without those lille idiosyncrasies of every person...

7:51 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I do not have yellow fever.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Dave Morris said...

Belching is far preferrable to backfires, so belch away... nobody wants to smell that same air in 6 hours.

As for having your back to the wall, would you happen to be a member of the mob? They never want their backs to the door, either. :)

3:54 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

I couldn't bear to wear sandals until a couple of years ago, and I didn't like to be without socks. I still don't like to go barefoot, even at home. And I hate to sit with my back to a doorway. Must be some ancient survival instinct rearing its head. That, or I've seen too many episodes of The Sopranos...

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feet freak me out, and I'm getting PT on mine (I have plantar fasciitis, or, as I prefer, fascist feet). Can you imagine touching people's feet for a living? Yuck.

8:56 PM  
Blogger mrhaney said...

i am like you that i like my back to the wall.when i was in the navy we would go in to town with some friends. we would never travel alone no matter what port we were in. when every one of us had to use the restroom we would leave our wallet with one of our friends in case we were robbed while we was gone.
whenever i work i have to have a radio with me and playing. if i have a tape on and the tape stops playing then i will stop working until i turn the tape over and start it again.

12:26 AM  
Blogger sands of time said...

My youngest son won't eat with metal knives and forks.He has to have plastic ones.

9:40 AM  
Blogger jon said...

Tis the oddness that makes us all interesting.

12:21 PM  
Blogger PBS said...

Those are interesting Hag-iosyncrasies! I share the back against the wall one, which is one of the (many) reasons I'm so disturbed at having to sit out front after we move to our new office space. Also, I eat on small plates. It cuts down my portions plus I just like eating from little plates better!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Putting your back to the wall....

...Maybe you were a gangster or someone on the run in a past life?

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home