July 05, 2006

It Was An Angry Pond, My Friends ...

Greetings all ... I haven't spent any quality time on the computer in the past four days, so I'll be trying to catch up a bit in the coming week. Ed and I enjoyed a wonderful long weekend together and I hope you all did too!

On Sunday, I really outdid myself. Ed asked if I'd like to go out and learn how to drive (steer, pilot, or whatever you want to call it) our small boat. I thought for a moment, then said, "Sure, and maybe we should bring out a rod or two incase we feel like fishing a little too." Fishing wasn't even the true mission. But Ed will never pass up an opportunity to wet a line, so he brought two rods and off we went.

It was great fun for me sitting in the captain's chair for once! Ed's a great teacher and had me maneuvering the boat out through the thick lily pads and beyond in no time at all. What a blast!

Once we cleared the weeds and pads, I decided to grab the larger rod and give it a shot. The lure he had on it was a wormy looking plastic thing with speckles on it. (quit laughing you fisherman readers!) I cast it out and reeled it in slowly like a pro. Nothing. I cast it out a second time (no lie) and voila! See below ...


Isn't he a beauty? (notice I'm wearing a dress to boot!)

Now, it's not everyday we catch this large a bass out back - still Ed's done so several times. This was my first (of the larger ones) and I have to tell you - it was a THRILL for me! Reading this back I can see that it may be taken several ways, but I don't give a hoot ... there's no other way to describe it.

You can appreciate him a bit more (perhaps) in this second photo. That's a smile on his face, by the way, and shock on mine. He grabbed at that lure the second it hit the water at the edge of the lily pads. He must have been quite hungry. Boy, was he tough for me to reel in! When I finally got him to the edge of the boat, he was covered in weeds and I thought to myself, "Oh, it's not that big after all," but Ed kept swearing I'd caught a huge bass.

Of course, we didn't go out with the camera. Being that we were only about 60 feet from our dock, I said to Ed, "Can we keep him alive till I get us back in and grab the camera for my blog?" He laughed and said, "Well ... if we hurry!" Ed held him under the water and I slowly managed to get the boat back dockside, ran in the house and came out with the camera and the scale (Ed said we might as well make the blog post complete! haha).

Incase you can't read the numbers on the scale, he weighed 5.8 which translates to five pounds, twelve and a half ounces ... a real whopper for our little pond. Don't worry, he's still alive in that picture. He's just a little ticked off for the moment. It's part of the game of fishing. If they want to participate, they have to deal with a bit of frustration now and again.

And to remove any doubt at all (okay, and also to show off), here's further proof.

At the end of his photo shoot and travels for the day, Ed reached down from the side of the dock and gently released him. The beautiful largemouth bass sat for a moment, just where Ed set him into the water, then took off in bass-like fashion - slow and cool. Maybe now someone else can have that same thrill next year (maybe even US again). I don't think he'll be hitting on any wormy looking plastic speckled things this year again though.

After this gem of a catch, I took us all around the pond - I didn't fish much the rest of the trip but I did catch a pretty and healthy perch. I was busy trying to keep us out of the shallows and minding where we were pointed. Ed caught many pumpkin seeds and blue gills - I hogged the larger rod and lure.

Trolling slowly around the pond and stopping on occasion to watch the Ospreys or Hawks flying above, fishing along the way the whole time, it takes about an hour to an hour and a half full circle. It's a perfect little fishing trip and we rarely get skunked (I've come to learn that to be "skunked" means never catching a thing the whole time out).

Oh. And here's one last picture for you today ...

This is a tiny inlet where it's always shady and lots of turtles hang out on the cresting logs. I snapped this picture to show you "the turtle that got away." No really, he was sitting on that protruding log seconds before I took the picture. Wouldn't he have been just great?

*This post title was a take-off on George's "Angry Sea" intro on a particularly hilarious Seinfeld episode. I couldn't resist.

"Last Year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish" Steven Wright

40 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dude, I must say, you look a real picture, especially with something wet and slippy in your hands. Thanks for another excellent Fishy post!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I like fishing, except for the water and the fish and boats and bait and mosquitos. Come to think of it, I just like eating fish. I'll stick with Umezono.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

You live beside a pond? Lucky lady! Congratulations on your fishing prowess.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Um, your comments box has come up with a tiny weird box that looks like it won't handle much, bit strange, but ok lol

Great fish story, how fabulous for you to have a pond so close to home. A "pond" to me would mean a wee small pond in the backyard with goldfish in it lol

btw, have you cut your hair? or is the rest of it just out of sight in the pics?

2:46 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Um, your comments box has come up with a tiny weird box that looks like it won't handle much, bit strange, but ok lol

Great fish story, how fabulous for you to have a pond so close to home. A "pond" to me would mean a wee small pond in the backyard with goldfish in it lol

btw, have you cut your hair? or is the rest of it just out of sight in the pics?

2:47 PM  
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

Fish envy!

I have fished all my life and never caught a bass that big. I think my largest was about 3.75 pounds.

Maybe I just had the wrong pond.

Osprey envy!

Haven't seen one yet this summer. And me likes me birds of prey, you know?

And loving the Steven Wright comment at the end! My favorite: "I bought a box of animal crackers. The package said, do not eat if seal is broken."

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


That's a huge bass! Your a far better fisherman than I, Carol! And in a dress no less. You think that's a little pond? Looks mighty big to me! I'm glad that yourboth doing so well. :)

4:41 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Carol, he was huge! I am glad you released him, though.

I am going to send you a pic of turtles sunbathing, since you missed yours!!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Alisa said...

haha! In our family we'd call that bass, "Dinner".

What a neat way to spend some time together though :) It sounds like it was a great day!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

What fabulous photos! What a magical place you live in! Congratulations on catching a "Bass"...a mighty fine specimen :o)

7:52 PM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

I cooked chicken tonight but I would have cooked that big fella for ya if you hadn't let it slip through your fingers and back out into the deep...When will you learn that a fish that beautiful was asking to be cooked. He followed you home didn't he?

9:11 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

What a wonderful pond and great place to spend a summer afternoon/evening! That's great and awesome catch!

I liked seeing pictures of you and Ed. Very fun!

1:19 AM  
Blogger sidcruise said...

That was one hell of a catch and good dress to go fishing too ;) ..

I didnt get the quote Sorry I am slow there !

What does dotted line mean ?

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great catch. The fish looks like it is just beaming at being caught by a beautiful woman, in a dress no less.
It's probably telling it's friends about how it wasn't going to bother biting that day and then you looked so excited it just had to give you a break..
That turtle was amazing. What I could imagine of it anyways..

7:26 PM  
Blogger Lana said...

That was an awesome catch. Beautiful Bass.
I love to fish. Biggest fish I catch was a 37 inch northern.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

what a catch. i'm speaking to Ed about you, silly.

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, fishing in a dress! How glamorous!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

That was, withouta doubt, the most beautiful turtle I never saw. At 5.8lbs you're lucky to have been in a boat. He would have yanked you clean off shore!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Puggyspice said...

Congrats on the gigantic catch. Looks like you were having a blast!

12:28 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Yes, I was going to comment on your wardrobe as well! What is up with that?

6:32 AM  
Blogger Attila the Mom said...

Damn! Those are some HUGE fish! Love the pics (and the dress)!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Tamara said...

Oh how neat-o! You look so cute in your sommer dress holding that big fish! Loooove the pix,all of them!Sounds like you had a great time!
I know you were so proud to put the fishy back in the water...but being a fishergirl myself,I'm so sorry to admit...he would have gotten cleaned and eaten.(sorry) I just love fresh fish and hush puppies!
Good catch!!!
{{hugs}}
T.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Tamara said...

Oh,I almost forgot...Leave it to Lisa,that sweety don't miss a thing,does she??Don't cha' just adore her?Well,I'm following her lead....did you get a haircut?
You look terrific!

8:49 PM  
Blogger L said...

ha ha ha ha ha! those pictures are great :)

10:11 PM  
Blogger mrhaney said...

that was a great post carol. maybe you should go on t.v. and fish and make some real good money for doing what you enjoy. it is a wonder you had your camera handy . i liked the photos.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Dave Morris said...

Now that is one beautiful piece of bass. I have a similar pond behind my house, stocked with decent sized bass. I've never fished it, but guests of mine have. It's all catch-and-release.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

OK, here we have a gal holding a BIG bass and people are commenting on her dress and her hair? No one said anything about hubby's hair or hat...

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fish! I'm impressed! I used to go fishing all the time with my dad when I was a kid, but haven't done it in years. Hmmm...

8:38 AM  
Blogger Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

reminded me of 'The Old Man and the Sea'
btw that was a huge fish n 'am glad u let it go ('am not one for fishing)

8:39 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Wow! I've never caught a fish that big! I hate to admit it, but when I first saw the picture, I was thinking it must have made a great meal. I'm glad you let it go so someone else could catch a big one!

2:52 PM  
Blogger PBS said...

Great fishing get-up! And I loved your photos, too!

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that fish is bigger than my babies at birth...which is a real blessing I say!

3:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the fish and I love to fish. Unfortunately I usually catch the little baby fish - I've never caught a big whopper like that. Not even one half that size, come to think of it, not even a quarter that size!
Excellent for you!

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only you could go fishing looking so lovely in a dress and catch a big fish.Great pics of you both.

11:19 AM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

NOTE FOR THE RECORD: The Biggest Large Mouth Caught around here, by someone I know came in at 5 lbs. So you are the CHAMP BABY! But fishing in a dress? Just throw away all my fishing equipment Mrytle, I'm gone out and buying me a blue dress.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Tamara said...

Ok...jigs up.Where are you hiding? Are you out fishing again?
Hmmm.hmmm...hmmmm....waiting patiently for an update.A tad worried,but I'm sure your probably OK.
As for me.I'm out of the hospital and in less pain than the first few days,thanks to strong meds.Less pain now=less meds,because I'm one of those crazies that tend to love taking meds that get you "high"...so I have to slap my hand and "just say no" when I'm not in enough pain to need those things.
My bad girl past keeps my head on straight (no pun intended)...since I just had neck surgery.lol
Hoping to hear from you soon hun,
Take Care,
T.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Frustrated Writer said...

nice catch! I love to bass fish and my biggest was 8 pounds 13 ounces... and it is a thrill! ONe I plan on nailing a ten pounder. Sigh... I hear the lakes calling me.

10:16 AM  
Blogger R.Powers said...

Great fish! Nice dress too.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow .. that is some fish. A big congrats to you. My son loves fishing and has a similar photo of himself with a small mouth bass. He too throws them back in after the fact.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home