November 01, 2005

Random Ruminations

~ I think politics started out as a fun game long, long ago, when men got bored with life and with peace. The game was probably a lot of fun at the time, until someone cheated and cheapened the whole thing, causing the opposing team to seek revenge or to “one-up the other side.” Before long, the game was taken quite seriously and more and more people wanted to play. More rules had to be set in place.

The game became so popular that they had to break up the two teams and create even more of them. Since the game wasn’t all about fun anymore, players started to refer to the teams as “parties” to try and lighten things up a bit. It didn’t work, but the word stuck.

Spectators would enjoy griping about, or rooting for the different teams, but just from the sidelines; some would complain or cheer louder than others. Some people couldn’t even stand the thought of this silly game so they never got involved at all, and were quite content about that.

Eventually players would die but there was always somebody else to take their place.

What everyone failed to realize was that from the beginning, nobody ever really won anything because just when they thought they had, damned if somebody wouldn’t jump in and start playing when they weren’t even invited. The newbies would bring a whole new set of rules and goals. Nobody really knew how to finish the game, so it just kept on going through time; through level after pathetic level – forever.

Pretty stupid game when you think about it.

~ I believe there are two major causes of my current state of overweight; one is the invention of elastic, the other is our country’s class system.

The most noticeable time when my extra 30 pounds starts to really bother me is when I put on clothes that don’t fit me anymore. How terribly uncomfortable! So what happens? I resort to my stretchy clothes… the ones that give when I sit or move about. Now the way I see it, if I didn’t have any stretchy clothes, I’d have no choice but to trim down so I could fit into my regular clothes. Whatever bastard created the stretchy jeans and elastic waist is a cruel, cruel cuss.

Unless of course, I have a whole lot of money and could afford go out and buy more and more clothes in larger sizes, which never really fit right because my legs don’t get taller and my arms stay the same. So I purchase the elastic waist jobbies that fast become my bestest friend. Whoa … now I have room to spare … let’s eat!

If I had even more money, I could hire a personal trainer who would come to my house and force me, little by little, back into shape. But then too, if I had no money at all, I couldn’t afford to eat the type and quantity of food that got me into this mess in the first place. So there you have it. It’s the invention of elastic accompanied by being middle class that made this happen. Drat!

~ This may have been stated in an earlier post but it merits repeating. I don’t believe people should be permitted to marry until they reach forty. I strongly feel that until you have lived on this earth for forty years, though you may know full well what you’re looking for in a life-partner, you cannot fully know what you are looking to avoid and will not be able to tolerate.

I have married people who I just knew with my whole heart and soul were everything I always wanted in a person. Then, as time passed, I came to realize that although they had some fine qualities, and possibly all the qualities I had hoped for, they also possessed qualities that I had absolutely no tolerance for … couldn’t cope with … couldn’t understand … didn’t want to be subjected to – AT ALL. I’m sure they also found the same to be true about me.

It was unfortunate that everything didn’t just jive, but had there been a law in place forbidding us to marry until forty, a lot of heartache would have been spared. I know this.

So aside from looking for a life-mate based on all your wants and desires, you must also consider all the crap that you will not tolerate in your home, your life and possibly in your future children’s lives. I don’t think most people take the time to really mull this over until they have done a lot more living than twenty or thirty years.

In my opinion, when marriages between younger people work out well ~ it’s truly a blessing; consider yourselves quite fortunate. When marriages between over-40 people work out well, it’s a testament that they have used their noggin based on life experience, and used it well.

~ Lastly, I would like to know who “they” are. You know … the “they” that decide what foods are no good, what colors match best, what causes disorders, what cars we should drive, what roads we should travel, what pills we should or shouldn’t take, what faith we should follow, what things to teach our children, what books we ought to read, what should or shouldn’t be considered “art,” what criminals to punish … I could go on forever.

This “they” comes up in so many conversations; we hear it all the time. It should be banned! Unless we can quote someone specifically, we should not be allowed to even use this word. I do it, you do it and you know everyone else has done it.

“They say when the cows are lying down, it’s going to rain”
“They say too many carbs are not good in the diet”
“They say purple and orange don’t work well together”
“They say an aspirin a day keeps the heart attack away”
“They say children are better schooled at home”

The list is endless, but how often do we really get to the bottom of who “they” are? The danger lies in that many people hear these types of statements and take them to heart without so much as questioning how such determinations were ever made or better yet, who made them! Sometimes people live their whole lives based on the decisions made by “they” without ever knowing who they are.

We should all demand citation from now on. Next time you hear someone use the phrase “they say,” stop the speaker in his or her tracks and ask “WHO says?” Whether or not the statement is right or wrong isn’t the issue here … it would just be interesting to observe how many people truly haven’t a clue who they’re quoting.

30 Comments:

Blogger Rainypete said...

Based on all the thing I've heard and read by them, I think they are on crack and subsequently are to be ignored.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Dave Morris said...

Stretchy pants! I laughed my ass off. I own a pair of shorts that flex. Those shorts were the invention of satan and KFC.

As for when to marry, God love you, it wouldn't be possible for you to be more correct. I, like you, have tried and failed. More than once. Bummer.

I. Love. Your. Blog. Thanks for the great stuff!

12:49 PM  
Blogger sands of time said...

OMG i love my stretchy pants.Makes me think i dont need to diet because my clothes still fit me.Otherwise i'd be lying on my bed trying to rearrange fat so i can do up a zipper on my pants.

2:20 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

I think "they" are the ones who decided to start up the game of politics. It's just another thing we can blame "them" for.

I like the idea of waiting until you're forty to get married. There should be a bit more of a wait for people.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Well, I don't agree with the 40 for marriage. I am big on having children although I only had 2 because I am practical and know children are VERY expensive. Regarding clothing, I own the non-stretchy type and it hangs in my closet, because I can't get it zipped or buttoned! Any some people think I am thin! Course they all wear glasses.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Alisa said...

"they" is used by people that want to sound factual and knowledgeable but have no specific statistics or data to a prove a point.

Sounds like politicians...

6:06 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Another post that makes me laugh out loud and identify. NOW I know why (besides being back in school for the last 2.5 years) that I have gained back the 30 pounds I worked SO HARD to lose. :)
Hh

8:34 PM  
Blogger sidcruise said...

You are on song one great post after another

I am not as pretty as you to flaunt it :)...Well soon you ll get to see me dont tell me I didnt warn you !!!!!

8:45 PM  
Blogger R.Powers said...

I never thought of elastic as evil before...thanks for the tip.

8:47 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I think I have to agree with Rainypete, "they" are on crack.

Loved your viewpoint on politics.

I'm fat because I love to eat. Damn those food makers for making food so tasty. Damn them. Oh, well. And if it wasn't for elastic, stretchy pants, I'd be walking around naked all the time. Trust me, we don't want that.

Hey, I'm going to be 40 in 2 years! I can get married! But wait, I don't have anyone to marry. Dang it.

Great post, as usual. I was thrilled to see you had another one. It is a bonus week.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Nice photo of you. You are so pretty..
I think that people should get married young, have a few kids and get divorced. Just get it over with.
At least that's what they told me..

11:46 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Love the new photo, Carol!

My mom used to use that indeterminate "they" all the time, and every time, I used to stop her and say "who said?" It drove her crazy!

1:31 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

LOL, definately agree with rainypete!
elastic is my best friend :o)

2:36 AM  
Blogger T.A.N. said...

Everyone I asked told me "they" were Nazis. It's surprising how much influence they still have.

I'm with you on the marriage thing. Are we talking about the ceremony of it all? Is it worth it to have an intimate long term relationship with someone, but just not marry?

Which leads me to wonder, what's the real difference between cohabitating and marriage?

2:53 AM  
Blogger Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

haa haa 40 is THE age to get married, now all we need to do is campaign to introduce a new law

3:14 AM  
Blogger the Monk said...

that politics thing was too good...reminded me of this Dilbert strip about management fundas...and elastic...funny..,and i'll keep the 40 thing in mind...

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just think some people should marry and others should not. Between my parents they have a combined total of five divorces, even when they married after forty. I married at 30 and almost seven years later am happy.*

*Sometimes I hate him, but it lasts maybe a minute and then he makes me laugh.

5:41 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

I like your view and "history" of politics! And the marriage thing is true, too. I've been married (and divorced) twice, both before I turned 30. There are some things that just aren't tolerable, it just takes some people (me, for example!) time to realize that.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

Hey Haggie,
Once again I printed out your post & read it in bed. I can't read long stuff off the screen.
I am so glad about the wait-til-40 rule. You have set me free! That means I still have 3 years to find someone I can live with for longer than 7 months.
Love the blog!
SG

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How dare "they" tell us purple and orange don't go together! My freedom loving Aquarius heart is going to break!

Luckily, as I've gotten older, I've learned - it's ALL about "learning," even if it's to ask; "who sez?" (great point). The Powers-That-Be try persuade us otherwise. "They" don't want us to think for ourselves because we're harder to manage that way. Better to have us all thinking alike. The media makes it easier for "them."

This piece of wisdom, by Veronica A. Shoffstall, has often helped me. It speaks to some of what you wrote about. With a change, here and there of a few words, you've got the answer (or so I think).
Kathy

After A While
by Veronica A. Shoffstall

After a while you learn
the subtle difference between
holding a hand and chaining a soul
and you learn
that love doesn't mean leaning
and company doesn't always mean security.
And you begin to learn
that kisses aren't contracts
and presents aren't promises
and you begin to accept your defeats
with your head up and your eyes ahead
with the grace of woman, not the grief of a child
and you learn
to build all your roads on today
because tomorrow's ground is
too uncertain for plans
and futures have a way of falling down
in mid-flight.
After a while you learn
that even sunshine burns
if you get too much
so you plant your own garden
and decorate your own soul
instead of waiting for someone
to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure
you really are strong
you really do have worth
and you learn
and you learn
with every goodbye, you learn...

7:29 PM  
Blogger Madcap said...

Purple and orange don't go together?! Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, and I thought my new dress with the elastic waistband was so pretty!

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Ruminations Weary! Another great post. :)

5:54 PM  
Blogger mrhaney said...

after you hear things being said time and time again you start beleiving the sayings and then all of a sudden you are saying what you have heard.

1:32 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

orange and purple down match damn "they" screwed me again. I gotta go home and change now. Great post- on all counts!

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a word lover, I'm surprised I never wondered about the word "party" in politics. I have wondered about why the right gets to be called the "right" (maybe cause they want things to be either right or wrong...black or white) and the left is called left (which makes me think of left field). Anyways, some good thought here. I know what you mean about elastic waist pants!

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah you are right,... we often hear this "They say" thingy..
I am frustated about my weight too.. got to do something about it.. just when I was thinking it was ok... i have bloated up GRRR

4:50 AM  
Blogger katie said...

I think you may have overheard a conversation my friend and I just had!! We were weighing the merits of having a list of things we DON'T want in a significant other, rather than a list of things that we do. We both decided that this list would probably be far more beneficial to us.
And as for the no marriage until 40, that is an idea I could get behind!

2:10 PM  
Blogger L said...

I thought the whole point of politics was to cheat :)

8:48 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

At last I can blame something for my weight gain...evil elastic. I suppose that's as good an excuse as any I have come up with.

They say your writing is good and they are right.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Rob Seifert said...

Here's to citations!!! I too have learned to love stretchy pants. We differ in that I think I'm fat and sassy because I eat too much and don't like excercise. Good food is always better than three bites of salad!

RCS

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home