October 12, 2007

What Wonderful Things ...

So many things have been going on around me lately ... thought I'd make a little list and give an abbreviated lowdown on each item. Oh, and sometimes, you just have to add images.

The husband ...
My own, personal superman, is fully recovered now from a stroke a year ago last September, two more stents inserted into his heart later on in the year (he now has six), and then a fibrilator implant this summer. Ed is far and away the strongest man I've ever known. He also works twenty-four and seven just to keep me happy and ~ my friends ~ he handles that challenging chore like a charm.

The daughter ...

Lots has changed for my sweetie of a girl. She's 21 now, living on her own in a cute apartment in a huge old house. She's waitressing at one job and since she received her certification at bartending this summer, is doing that at an exclusive restaurant. She has a new man in her life and he treats her SO nicely. He's a good guy ... he's honest, funny, charming, and good looking and she adores him.


The cats ...

They are fine. LARGE and fine. Our unrelated, on-in-cat-years kitties are stressed a bit because of all the action around here lately. We're in the midst of having the place renovated - pretty much top to bottom, and anyone who knows how neurotic cats can get, knows that they're not overly keen on having their boxes (toilets) and food shifted around while strangers invade their personal space. Here they are on calmer days.

Gatito and Jazzman W. Poindexter (Jazzy)

14 yrs old and about 21 pounds, and 13 yrs old and about 23 pounds


Kiko

11 years old - 24 pounds


The house ...

As previously mentioned, we're having many changes made to the house. Can't wait till it's all finished but I must admit it's fun watching each project come to an end ... it's like a nuts and bolts metamorphosis. Pretty neat. I've documented most of the process with before and after pics and clips and will be adding more details and images as time passes. For now, here's the small room. This has, so far, been our biggest makeover. We went retro-classic.

BEFORE



AFTER







I have one more very special addition to tell about - he's my new pride and joy temporary pet ... Gunther. I stumbled upon Gunther while out back feeding the wild pond turtles. He is a snapping turtle hatchling and was so damn tiny when he swam past me that without thinking I simply scooped him up into my hand - I was near disbelief! I'd never seen such a tiny hatchling before. He couldn't have been more than a week old and in fact, I may have spotted him out on his maiden swim.

Being a snapper - and so young - he would be tender and delicious to a large mouth bass or even to a large bullfrog or one of the monstrous two foot snappers we've spotted out in the pond. I could NOT leave this little guy out there as someone's lunch. Nope.


So I brought him indoors with a few cupsful of pond water and kept him in a round vase until Ed went and bought a small aquarium. It's really lovely and we fixed it up just as we've seen the areas below the lily pads out back. gravelly, sandy, rocks here and there - and some plants to hide in.


I'll write more about him another time - but for now - here is Gunther. He's quite a hit around here ... great fun to watch as he learns how to live!


Meet little Gunther ...



Thanks for reading!!

35 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Do you have any idea how nice it is to find a post here?! And a nice newsy one, too. Glad you are over the effects of the stroke - it will take longer around here. The cats resemble mine in girth...LOL and the turtle is cute! Looking forward to more photos. Oh, daughter is hot!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Superman looks good and sounds resilliant.
You sound really cheerful in this post and extremely busy swimming through changes.

What, 21 already, wasn't she 17 yesterday, shit time flies?
That's a lucky young man but I could see the fun in his eyes.

You know the bathroom looks great but the before picture had tha airy feel about it.

Keep on with what you are doing, it sounds like you're loving it.

Have a nice weekend

4:18 PM  
Blogger Wicked H said...

Hagglette!!!!!

I am happy to hear all the good news. I wish you and the family continued goodness.

Very happy to see you here.

Hugs and Kisses!!

8:06 PM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Welcome home with such great news. Glad everyone is feeling better. It is just nice to know all goes well. Love all the Fat Cats in your life. I would ditch the turtle though...You should see the size of them as they grow.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

KENJU - Judy, Judy (I won't say the third one, don't worry)... I love that you still come here and read my scarce posts. Thanks, always, for your input. PS Daughter LOVED that you said she was hot. haha

WALKER - My Canadian buddy ... I know - it does seem like she was just 17! It's good to have things going well for a change. Guess it shows in my writings. Thanks for stopping in to see me!

WICKED H - Isn't it great when things start going well for a change after a long haul of crapola? Great to see you, and thanks for thinking of me and visiting!

MYSTIC - My dear fellow-east-coaster friend ... Oh, trust me, I do know how big and how mean snappers can get. That's why I carefully worded it "temporary" pet. He's the second one I've taken care of now but by far the youngest. If I weren't such a turtle fanatic, I wouldn't get so easily taken in by the silly little things.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Life does go on...ups AND downs. Make sure you let that snapper go when he get to big or you may have another down day! Great to see you are back---at least for now.

7:36 AM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Hello! How great to see your post. Good news about Ed and everything, glad to hear it. Kitties! Yay!

12:31 PM  
Blogger Frustrated Writer said...

Every now and again I think to myself, "I need to check on the Hag and when you've posted, well it is like a little drop of dew from heaven. I appreciate your list and the way you express your gratitude for all the important things that touch your life. Great post!

10:39 AM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Oh Weary One, it is your time of year. Halloween! You need to take a pic of this years costume and post for your friends in Blogville. I know the actress in your heart, so get out the grease paint. Waiting to see you in this years attire. Your friend....

3:47 PM  
Blogger Dave Morris said...

Fantastic looking bathroom!!! Congrats, it's always good when you can poo in nice surroundings.

Glad to get an update - sounds like Ed has been through some stuff. Sounds like all's great now! Thanks for the good news.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Alisa said...

It is so good to hear from you! It's like getting a letter from someone you haven't chatted with in a while.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

TABOR - I never really minded the ups and downs but when ya get stuck in the pit and lose your rope, that's just no picnic. But then, I speak to one who knows. GREAT to see you!

5:59 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

CARPEDM - I thought so much about you the other day. I saw a froggie out by the pond - he couldn't have been more than this-summer old. You and your fun writings came to mind because of all your froggie-talk. I've missed you!

6:01 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

FRUSTRATED WRITER - So glad you stopped by, Mark! I know what you mean about thinking of fellow bloggers from time to time - it has happened to me all throughout my long absense. Sometimes the most unusual of things reminds me of someone. It's also great to know I am thought of on occasion. Thanks for saying that!

6:05 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

MYSTIC - It's been years since I've followed an 'assignment' ... Not sure if I'm up to the challenge but it's fun thinking things up. :) Thanks for coming by!

6:07 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

DAVE MORRIS - I couldn't agree more about relieving oneself in comfy surroundings ~ when you can't, it stinks. Well, then too ---even when you can it usually sti... NOW WAIT. See where you have me going with this? haha
Thanks for visiting me, Dave.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

ALISA - Thank you so much for the sweet thoughts! I've missed reading you also - but don't worry - in the blog community, out of sight does NOT mean out of mind.
Glad you stopped by, Alisa.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Violet said...

i was going to comment on the great looking bathroom, but i can see that dave beat me to it.

great looking family. very cool that your daughter has become an independent, self-sufficient young woman. that's what parenting is all about, isn't it?

2:17 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

It is so nice to see comments from you. I was hoping you had a new post - but I will content myself with your words at my place!

Maybe you should reach for a toothpick instead of M&Ms - LOL. My bad habit when I quit smoking was pretzels, but they add up too (in all the wrong places).

7:54 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

VIOLET - Most of the years I was raising my daughter, I wasn't 100% sure what 'it' was all about - to be honest. You won't be either. There are no manuals on parenting -
I think the best way to go about things is to approach it as though YOU are the little one, and do things for them that would make you (YOUR LITTLE ONE) feel most secure and loved at all times. Consistency is EVERYTHING is childrearing though. Really.

Thanks for reading V!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

KENJU ... Guess what Judy? It's now been 10 months since I smoked. And now, 20 pounds heavier on top of my already 20 pounds too heavy isn't doing good things for my system at ALL. I'll never smoke again, but I remain feeling a tad deprived and completely out of sorts. Maybe it'll pass. Who knows.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're back? Sweet.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

LBB - SO glad you stopped by. Thought I'd mislaid my royal status. All feels good and right with the world now. Thanks for stopping in.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.. such amazing gratitudes.. I am so glad I stopped by. This must have been a difficult year with your hubby having these medical issues. I am so happy that all is going well.

And little Gunther.. now there is one lucky little guy. :-)

1:49 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

COLL ... Yeah, there were times when I didn't think I could get any bluer... but it comes around again, doesn't it? Glad you stopped by!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

Lovely to have some many things to be happy about!
(Found you by way of Spider in the Bathtub's blog)
Lovely! I'll be back.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Hello!

Nice to hear all about your kitties and family and little Gunther (he's a cutie!).

And please do post more home renovation pics (I liked your new bathroom). I'm always planning new home improvements and I find other people before and after photos quite inspirational. :)

10:16 PM  
Blogger oregoncelticlady said...

WH,
I did not know you were back!!!! WOOHOOO! I watched for you for sooo long!
Your family is wonderful! Your man is beautiful!
REgarding your 9/11 post....WE remembered and honored and talked and cried!! And anyone who thinks it is time to move on should reach deep and find some compassion and empathy in their life!

Glad you are back, my friend! Visit often!

12:54 AM  
Blogger brooksba said...

Welcome back Carol! I missed you! Your cats look so happy and healthy. I'm glad to see that your daughter is having the time of her life - a new job and a cute guy! I'm also thrilled to hear that you and Ed are still having fun together. Love the pictures of your home renovations.

Gunther is a little cutie. How much fun.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

TAI - You're an interesting young lady. I very much enjoyed what I've read of your blog thus far. There are a lot of in-commons with me; from Sarah Vaughan to French onion soup! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a note!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

SPIDER GIRL - Hello old friend! Glad to see that in spite of my way-too-long hiatus, people still remember. I will be putting up a few before and after shots of our outside work in a couple of weeks after the finishing touches are on.
Thank you so much for your thoughts!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

OREGONCELTICLADY - Yay! Another old friend to come home to. So glad things are going well with you and you seem to have more time to post these days! I'll be back - be sure of it.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

BROOKSBA - You know, you have now moved into place as my second oldest blogging buddy. Remember Wally? I'll forever wonder what happened to him.
Through every single bit of trauma and struggle, Ed and I have always maintained a very healthy sense of humor and this, I believe, is key to our extreme happiness.
Hope your birthday was a goodie!

Thank you for always being just across the keyboard, my little singing friend.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So nice to get an update and to hear that everything is going well! I'm happy to see that Ed has his pony tail back. I seem to recall he cut it off recently. Glad he is well!

11:50 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

COLLEEN - Do you believe he hadn't cut the hair? This photo was from a while back though, just the same. Glad you came by, it's ALWAYS great to see you!

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home