January 01, 2008

Happy New Year! Now, Let's Talk About Toosies

"Everybody cut loose ... footloose"

As some readers may recall, I once posted a random Hagtoid* about feet and how much I don't like them. It's not that I don't admire the job they are stuck with. In fact, sometimes, I'm almost in awe of them. I sure wouldn't want to lug around all that poundage every day.

BUT ... despite the fact that they carry our sometimes fat asses all over town from the moment we rise in the morning till we sleep at night, feet are the only body parts that we willingly abuse just for the sake of amusement, fashion, or ironically - fitness.

Back when I wore the skin of a younger woman, I couldn't wait till payday each Friday so I could run up to Nassau Street or Maiden Lane (downtown NYC) to shop for new shoes. Yes. Each payday. This was my big treat back then ... I didn't spend a lot of money on myself for other things in those days, but I had to keep up with a sharp image while working on Wall Street.

Shoes were a way for me to be artsy in an otherwise fartsy world. Don't forget my little lieblings, I worked there in the days just following the era of the white-gloved receptionist in her three-piece suit. Let's just say there weren't any dress-down Fridays back then. There also weren't any women in slacks, trousers, pants or whatever you'd like to call them. Not at Thacher, Proffit, Prizer, Crawley and Wood^ there weren't.

Having this shoe-pendency, I enjoyed many a platform style, many a wedge, classic pump, and even the fabulous FMHs (stilettos). Walking up to my job from the South Ferry Terminal (about eight city blocks) and back down again at the end of the day, I often felt like I could go about thirty more blocks if only I could switch out for someone else's feet! Boy did those puppies crash and burn by the end of my workday.

It wasn't until I went to a chiropodist (sher-ah-podist)at some point during my thirties when I was informed I had really "done a number" on my poor feet. Of all the shoes that will ruin a perfectly fine set of hooves, it's the stiletto that will wreak the most havoc in years to come; particularly those with a pointed toe. These were my favorites --- but of course.

Oh, and I didn't stop at just wearing them to and from work. No no no no ... I had to add insult to injury and wear them out dancing three nights a week as well. Great. Way to teach those toes allllll the bad habits.

And so - now I pay a dear price. I get the weirdest aches and pains in my toes and feet - and without any provocation. My feet are ultra-sensitive to the touch, and I dare you to try to find a more crooked set of toenails! They (the nails) were taught well and cannot seem to unlearn their lesson; they migrate toward the center of gravity (center of a shoe) whether the style commands it or not.

Being the good little boomer-come-lately, I also owned the obligatory Birks*^ and earth shoes. I clearly recall putting them on during my leisure and feeling as though I was walking on air. I just couldn't cozy up to the look of them. You can tell where my head was back then.

I neh-eh-ever liked feet. I remember as a kid walking around the grocery store with my mom ... occasionally spotting a pair of ugly, sandled feet and thinking "Double ew." So as not to repeat an entire dedication I already made to this specific topic, let's just say that I don't think ANYONE should assume that people want to see their feet. At all. Ever.

It's kind of ironic then - that my own set have turned against me at my midlife+ age. Maybe they knew how I felt all along. I just didn't care for them. And now, I'm feelin' it.



*Hagtoid: a factoid about the Hag
^ TPPCW: a law firm I worked at in the earliest 70s
*^Birks: Birkenstock shoes with soles made of cork

19 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

In my early years (15 to 40), I had a shoe-pendency like yours. When I started college, I had 27 pairs, which was considered a fetish by my friends.....LOL At the moment, I have more pairs than that - but they are mostly flats, sneakers, walking shoes and sandals. I have 2 pairs of heels; one pair is from 1972 (I just can't seem to part with them) and the others were bought 3 years ago in anticipation of a party, but they have been worn once. I will admit to loving a pair of black leather Clark's clogs, which I wear almost everyday, while the other shoes languish in the closet. Maybe I should just give them all to Goodwill, since they may never see the light of day as long as the Clark's don't wear out!

4:05 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I am not a shoe person at all! I hate them. My feet like to be free, dang it! Unfortunately that's not possible with the stupid heel spur. I usually find one pair of shoes that I like and wear them with everything. During the summer it was my canvas orange and green Mary Jane's. Now it's my pink leather tennis shoes with fuschia shoe laces (with musical notes! Beth's mom got them on Beale Street for me). My more fashionable co-workers cringe whenever they see me. I hear a lot of "Dana, you cannot wear tennis shoes with a skirt." And I laugh.

I do like looking at shoes though. I've seen many a pretty pair, I just know I can't wear anything with a heel (I am a clutz) or a pointed toe (hurts!).

Happy New Year, Carol! May your feet be a little more friendly this year!

9:22 AM  
Blogger J said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:51 AM  
Blogger J said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:52 AM  
Blogger J said...

I have never had a thing for shoes. I do like feet though. Clearly, we have nothing in common.

11:53 AM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

+We are not on the same wave-length on this matter at all. It isn't about shoes, it's about feet. I have two feet with toes attached. I get them rubbed lovingly all the time. They are not bent or twisted, but as I was in the military and wore boots, with steal toes, "most of the time", but I do have one problem... I have no hair growing on the outside of my legs where my boots rubbed it off. Yes! I'm a partial hairless ankle/lower leg person. Maybe that is why they get so cold....But I did take care of them and I have no major problems with them...Hut, two, three, four...

8:11 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Happy New Year Carol, Ed & family :o)

Loved catching up on your last few posts, you've not lost touch for writing :o)

10:23 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I am still a bit of a shoe addict...but only comfortable styles these days. I saw a TV interview with some new 'architect--to shoe stylist' who makes stylish shoes that have been engineered for comfort like tennis shoes...they looked the same as any high heel, but have air cushions. Since they were over $200 I will never know if they work.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Dave Morris said...

I'm a common man, which means I'm fixated on the stiletto part of your post.

However, I am decidedly NOT common, in that I have a larger selection of shoes than normal for men. I probably have 10 pairs of shoes. 2 or 3 brown, 2 or 3 black, some tennis shoes, sandals, flip-flops, boots... OK, maybe I have 15 pairs of shoes. I'm the same way with clothes, I have probably 100 shirts. Maybe more, I don't know. Probably 15 to 20 pairs of pants.

As a kid, I went without clothes a lot... no, let me rephrase. Mom wasn't able to afford clothes that FIT. Thus, I was forced to wear high-water pants and shoes that injured my feet. (I had reconstructive surgery on my left foot when I was a kid because we couldn't afford shoes that fit. Irony, the shoes would have been much cheaper than the surgery)

Wow, I just realized I'm blathering. Anyway, I guess the point of my post is - hi Hag! Dave stopped by. Happy New Year!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Nevis said...

I used to have like 40+ pairs, but I've pared that number down to like 10-15 pairs. I think I obsess over them so much because I'm slightly overweight and can't purchase all the "trendy & fashionable" clothing that you'd find at the "cool" stores - but I CAN buy all the trendy & fashionable SHOES - because even though I'm overweight - my FEET aren't! I'm not sure if that's a sad state of affairs for me or not. Blerg.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Lyvvie said...

I've never been a high heel person. I knew from young that my ankles are my weakest point and heels will cripple me. I live in comfortable shoes (sneakers) for most of the time. When I worked at the bank, square toe shoes were fashionable so was saved, but heels higher than two inches were a no no. I've always liked the way high heels make my legs look, but I just can't ever get over the mini panic of "don't fall over don't fall over don't fall over"

You have shoe tan on your feet! Birks are ugly. Wear Docs instead *wink*

4:54 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Happy feet make for happy people.
I wear running shoes and I mean the expensive kind.
I have learned that you pay for what you get and good running shoes will last me 3-5 years.

7:33 PM  
Blogger oregoncelticlady said...

Hello my sweet friend! I hope all is well and that the beginning of this new year has been wonderful!

1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never been one to focus on my feet or my foot ware.. but the last few years I must say.. I have become very fond of shoes. I was rather surprised at my own inclinations until a friend suggested that perhaps it may be because .. at least with us older gals.. we can find shoes that fit and flatter us easier than we can find clothes. Hmmmm... I wonder.

8:04 PM  
Blogger PBS said...

Your posts are always so interesting! I used to wear tall heels but have long since given them up for comfort.

9:55 PM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

A closed mouth gathers no feet!

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, good idea blogging about a particular body part. Unfortunately though, my fetish isn't about feet. Is there any chance you can do a similar post but focus on something else?

Don

4:33 PM  
Blogger t. durden said...

Hello Weary, it has been a while since I blogged. Blame that on my current job. Just had to drop in and say Happy New Year ... and yes, I know its two months late. :)

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home