November 16, 2007

Oddzinens


Just a photo treat from my camera to your eyes
~ I don't like it when people dial a wrong number and upon reaching me by mistake just say something classy like "shit" and hang up on my face. The ones who have a particularly crusty set on them are those who have been doing this since the installation of Caller ID. Sometimes, I even let them know just how crusty their set is and Star69 them ... depends on my mood at the time.

~ Being a non-smoker hasn't made me any less cranky in this regard - I still resent the hell out of the discrimination laid on tobacco users. I think it would be marvelous if say, some day, they discover that smoking while you're very very chilly can actually FIX cancer and build strong bones. (this would of course be most helpful to the users who are forced to stand outdoors and freeze their asses off just for the sake of two minutes of quiet sanity)

~ I can't figure out if I've already had my just desserts or not. Sometimes I lay awake at night and scratch my head in wonder over this.





~ I'm kinda enjoying this whole menopause thang. I mean, when else can I be pardoned for acting like a dollbaby one minute and a complete loon the next? When else can I blame my hormones on the empty pie plate or crumpled party size M&M bag? Can we talk? When else can I forget (ahem) allll about an important appointment that I had when I really never wanted to go in the first place? At what other time in my life could I have been so readily forgiven for my sharp tongue and oversized mid-section? So very much is forgiven in the name of menopause. I say BRING IT, baby.


I captioned this years ago but it seemed so ... appropriate



~ While going through drawers and closets one day last week, I realized something atrocious. I not only own, but still WEAR clothing that I know for a fact was purchased at least fifteen years ago and in one particular case, well over twenty. I cannot care any less about this, but I like the word "atrocious" and I felt like it fit here.



~ Fried rice is possibly the only food item that I will eat regardless of not knowing exactly what's gone into it. No, seriously. They could put diced lizard ass into that stuff and I'd be like "Oh YUMMMM this is soooo good!"



~ I was talking on the phone with my oldest sister yesterday. She left home to join the convent at fifteen years old. I was five. Took me all these years to realize that this sister doesn't even really and truly know me very well at all. Hm. Could be why we have such a fun time of it chit-chatting. All that nasty familiarity crap doesn't stand in the way. Know what I'm sayin?



~ I'm listening to BB King/Eric Clapton's CD Riding With the King. I can't get enough of the blues. Oh, I'm not blue though - I'm in a rather sparkly mood right now. I really like it when people list their mood or the music they are currently listening to as they write. I've always wanted to remember to do that so ~ there you have it.



SRV, Janis, BB/Clapton


~ We purchased the coolest new doors for the house. Our storm door (Pella) is the type that has a roll-up screen on it so you can get through the seasons without having to remove screens or switch out glass for screen, etc. You just lift the handle (midway up the door) and push it to the top and voila! you've got a full-glass storm door. Roll it back down and you've got half screen again. It does another trick too. You can just tap the bottom bar with your foot and the door stays open by itself - no little metal clip to slide along the tension bar. I'm so excited by all of this.






~ You don't even want to get me started about laminate flooring or vinyl soffits. Oh good lord and I all but jump up and down discussing window trim and bathroom tile patterns. Seriously. I get like a little kid on Christmas morning as each new job gets completed at the house. So much work has been done now ... the place looks brand new on the outside and fairly new on the inside too! Okay so maybe I could stand to get out a little more, but then, with such a pretty and brandy new environment, why would I want to?



please note half finished stoop

Now be a good doobie. Read below and help a Hag, won't you?



BLOG QUESTION #1: So what's the best place to put a photo slideshow into nowadays, kiddies? I want to include a bunch of single-topic pics but don't want to put them all up in here (post) because some folks just plain don't give a hoot about home improvement. Any suggestions? Something that offers me a link I can put right in my post? Quit rolling your eyes, you didn't know how to do it either till you did it the first time.


BLOG QUESTION #B: I've heard a rumor. You do know that I have been rather inconsistent in my blogging for some time now and had a lengthy overall absence recently. The rumor I've heard is that readers avoid video clips like the plague. Is this true? My informer stated that people generally don't want to bother opening them or waiting even a few seconds for your junk to load. Is there any truth to this? Cuz I happen to enjoy the good old video clip when I land on one, but I'd like to know the general opinion before I ever plant a clip in my post.


Thanks for any feedback on these two questions ~ or on anything else for that matter ~

Happy weekend!

20 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Good, newsy post Carol!

I like videos, most of the time, and I do wait for them to load.

I use Picasa, google's photo program and I like it. I see a lot of people use Flickr to great advantage.

I gave a shirt to Goodwill last month that I had been wearing continuously since my 50th birthday (17 yrs. ago) It was a leopard print shirt from a well known maker (whom I cannot remember right now) and while I could still wear it, and it looked fine, I decided it had to go...LOL

Re caller ID: we got it years ago, after a whole slew of hang-up calls. Turns out it was my mother-in-law, who didn't want to talk to me and would only say something if mr. kenju picked up the phone. She denied it, but when we showed her the evidence, the calls stopped. I worship caller ID....LOL

1:17 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I started a whole new blog when I built my house...added tons of photos...then I printed it out for my future perusal and deleted the blog! You could consider that because with tagging you can find any past blogentry you wanted. I click on about 50% of the videos that are posted. You probably get people all over the place on opinions on this. I recommend that you write the blog for your soul and forget about everyone else!

5:54 AM  
Blogger Wicked H said...

Can't help you with question #1, I have yet to cross the add clips to my blog bridge.

Question #2, I want the choice of opening the clip or not. I avoid any blog that automatically loads music and or clips. If it's a site I read regularly, I usually enjoy the clip.

So bring it Hagglette!

;-)

9:55 PM  
Blogger Simply Curious said...

Music and videos should always be optional. I remember when I used to work in an office, I couldn't go to a ton of blogs because of music automatically loading.

Lizard butt....
I think I just vomited a little bit in my mouth.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

I had this one guy call me up at 7 am asking for some woman.
Once I said you got the wrong number.
Twice I said he made a mistake yet again.
The third time I told him Jqane was busy but when she was done with me I will tell her to call him.

4:17 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I'm a semi smoker and I get so cranky about having to go outside at the Chalet. It just doesn't seem right. Anywhere else and I can handle it just fine. But I would love it if that was the case - stand outside and smoke! No more cancer for you! Woo-hoo! I still think "If you don't want to be in a smoky bar, don't go to the bar!" But fine, whatever, I'll get over it.

I am looking forward to menopause now!

I like flickr for being able to do slide shows. If you don't want to put it in the post, that would be a great way to put them. But you know, I love stuff like this so why not put it in there? It's your blog. As for video clips, I like them but I don't always click on them. It depends. I hate it when they open automatically, that's annoying. I like having the option.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

i like just about anything on blogs video, soundtrack, prose.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

I stopped by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving

11:44 AM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

12:44 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

Wrong numbers are irritating, but it is worse when the person doesn't acknowledge the wrong number, swears, and hangs up. It makes me think, "Really? That's how you treat others? I'm glad I was the wrong person. I don't want to know you."

As for pictures, I recommend Flickr. You can get a free account and upload at least a few pictures a month. Plus, they stay there.

As for videos, I like the option of seeing them. They are great, if it is a good view. But I agree with others, it is better if the video doesn't automatically load.

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have only ever placed one slide show on a post but it worked very well and I was very happy with it. I used the site www.slide.com . The post that I used it in is at http://colleenscorner.com/blog/?p=110 if you would like to see how it came across.

And about videos.. I LOVE them. I find they show a different side of the blogger. I especially like it when there is a voice that I can associate to the blogger. They never sound like I think they will. :-) And of course.. I have high speed internet so the load times are usually not an issue.

Sounds like some interesting posts ahead. :-)

1:12 AM  
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

Wow, I can see I have some catching up to do!

Oh, I love video.

4:15 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Any blog that contains Elephants arses (as opposed to asses 'cause I'm English) is fine by me. Enjoyed the read. Ta babe.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Dave Morris said...

We haven't chatted for so long, so this might be long:

1 - I am always careful to apologize when I get a wrong number. There's very little excuse for doing it these days, so when I do it, I profusely apologize for interrupting them and tell them to have a nice day.

2 - I am a non-smoker, but the smokers have something the rest of us don't... the "fellowship of the smoker." I have half a mind to blog about it. You get to stand outside where it's quiet, and bond with a fellow smoker in an activity you both enjoy. You can talk, or you can just stand there and enjoy the silence and people-watch. I envy the smoke-breaks.

3 - I have t-shirts I've been wearing for 15 years, and a pair of house slippers I've owned since I was a KID. Nothing wrong with any of it. Although sometimes you just gotta say "atrocious."

4 - I'm with you on fried rice, but I prefer my lizard ass shreaded.

5 - That whole familiarity thing (or lack thereof) with your sister is a blessing. Glad you take it that way!

6 - Your house looks amazing! You're right, it looks new.

7 - My willingness to view video is only dependent on my interest level. I'd watch anything you have to post.

1:08 PM  
Blogger dan said...

i love video clips.

10:07 AM  
Blogger STAG said...

Video clips are great. It helps if you say something about the clip, other than say, "Oh you got to see this!!!" I figure that like a blank Christmas card, if the sender (or blogger) can't be bothered to contribute something it is pretty much worthless.

Regarding smoking...after I quit smoking, I missed out on a lot of executive decisions, so I started joining the "gang" for a gum chewing break. The only real problem was the slight delay moment (made by lighting or dragging on the butt) as I tried to think of something contributive to say. As it was, I would just say the first thing that would pop into my head...rarely a positive career move.

Post all the pictures of your house that you like! Its YOUR blog!

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got to confess, it was me who said "shit" and hung up on you. Well, I was ringing the nice lady next door, but realised it was a wrong number as soon as I heard the unmistakable tones of your New Yoik accent. So you're going to inflict that on everyone now?

Just kidding. Hugs.

Don

10:54 AM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

I love how you write. I couldn't help smiling throughout this entry. And every other one that I've read.

#1: Flickr. They make it easy to embed photos into blog posts. Fewest steps. Easy upload/linking process. Picasa also works, but it's Google. So in the interest of avoiding a TOTAL global monopoly, my form of protest is to use the occasional non-Google service.

#2: If it autoloads when I first view the page, I'm out of there. Generally speaking, pages should load silently. The audio and video should be there for the visitor to activate if he/she wishes. I hate nothing more than to be jarred when I visit a site. These days, I keep my mute on just in case, but since I use IM and other software that relies on audio cues, this isn't a real solution.

12:33 PM  
Blogger colleen said...

I definitely click on videos. I think those who have dial up might not.

Are those the slippers in the photo that you've had since you were a kid?

10:43 PM  
Blogger Johnny Virgil said...

I don't mind the video so much. I sometimes admit to skipping them if the subject doesn't interest me. Happy Holidays!

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home