June 11, 2008

Carol's Adventure Series: Chapter One

Hag's Hobby
I really wasn't going to write here - I wanted to just get the photo in place, perhaps cool a few folks off a bit with a watery treat ... but then I realized it merits a post after all. (laughing to self: "As if anything doesn't?" )
I've lived in this location now for eight and a half years. I've been out in boats many times with Mr. Hag and though he has encouraged me to take a ride for myself sometime, I never attempted it until roughly one month ago. Oh my, what a thrill.
I cannot describe the sense of freedom I felt that very first time I dared the trip alone. Remember, I don't swim and have an itsy-baby fear of the water. It's really just a healthy regard for it. How could I fear water? I just fear me ~ IN the water. Still.
As I loosed the rope that was tethering the boat to the dock ... I floated so gently away from shore and drifted through the lily pads, past all my turtle guys and little bluegills... I looked behind me and felt almost giddy. I think I smirked - to no one. Ya ever find yourself doing that?
Anyway, it was an almost windless day and I was truly out on an adventure. I picked up the oar (just one) and sliced it into the mirror-like water dragging back on it till I felt a gentle swoosh. I noticed the shoreline gaining momentum. How cool.
And on that went until I was too far from home to feel a hundred percent comfy anymore. I rowed us back -- me and the dragonfly who perched himself on the other seat -- and tied up at the dock. I stood on the ground again and in spite of the fun time I'd had, I decided this was where my feet really belonged; mother-earth, unmoving ground, backyard lawn - Ohhhh yeah, baby.
Taurus is an earth sign and I remain true to myself, everytime. BUT ... I have also decided that this may be JUST what the doctor ordered when it comes to an exercise ... something I can handle with little upset to my fibromyalgic state ... something that my poor little deteriorating hip can handle and something that is so spiritually uplifting that I can hardly talk about it without getting goosebumps.
I've gone out every clear day since that first daring trip. It's been incredible and since I've taken to bringing my camera with me - there will be video clips of all the wildlife in the future.
(saying the next with much trepidation)
Vicodin? Kiss my ass. I got me a pond and a boat!
Till again ... WH

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rowing a boat. How fun. I'm jealous. If I want to ride in a boat, I have to go ride the bumper boats and Golf n' Stuff.

3:03 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

That sounds like it would be excellent exercise. Wish I could do soemthing like that!

5:50 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

How wonderful for you!! I have not piloted a boat by myself for many a decade, but I'd like to feel the slice of the craft through the water once again.

I have a cousin who was a synchronized swimmer in college and still swims very strongly, despite her years. She has a canoe she takes out (they live on a lake in TN) daily, into coves where willows over-shade the water's edge, and turtles take sunbaths on partially submerged logs. It is paradise and I want some of it! Alas, I have a pool, but no canoe for the lake nearby.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

We definitely have a few things in common --- fibromialgia, "healthy respect" for water, especially when I can't see the bottom. I congratulate you on your solo cruise. Our dream is to get a pontoon boat --- floating on the lake with books, tunes, and Starbucks. aaaah!

11:54 PM  
Blogger Lyvvie said...

I used to canoe by myself all the time - it was wonderful. I really wanted a kayak and should've gotten one. you're so lucky to have a pond and a boat! I wish I did. If I tried it out on my river I could easily end up in the North Sea. Some folks may like that idea, but I certainly don't. Enjoy it often! And go learn to swim you silly!(Says the Earth sign with a fish's tail)

4:20 AM  
Blogger bobbie said...

I am happy for you, taking off on your own like that. Must have been really exhilarating. Enjoy your pond!

To answer your comment - Barnegat Light is in the town of the same name at the tip of Long Beach Island on Barnegat Inlet - at the bottom of Barnegat Bay. If you have an official NJ road map, it's at O-11, if that helps.

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We share the Taurus attitude. I too have great respect for water and often prefer the feet to ground experience... but a canoe on still water sounds like a bit of heaven. The best part for me would be the wild life that may not feel so threatened by the silence of a canoe. I am envious and am wishing I could tag along.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Frustrated Writer said...

I love the water, I love to canoe! I am so envious! Glad you had a bonding moment with momma nature! Hey, us Tauri have to keep close to the earth... although I do love my swimming.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Being on the water is a calming experience.
I used to go fishing just to be in the middle of no where and to feel the rocking ofte boat and the breeze on y face.As soon as he wind pickedc up and the waves got higher than 2 inches the 50 horseMerc was flying like a kite throughthe water befopre Iended up with the fishies LOL

9:10 AM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

I am so pissed at you! Not knowing how to swim? Who doesn't teach their child to swim? Look at all the adventures you have missed. I am thrilled for you that you have discovered Water Adventures now, but I am concerned for your safety, wear a life vest or belt. You will wind up in the water at some time, or at least I always do, but I'm the Crab (Cancer) so water is within my sign. I am so surprised that you don't swim. Water and boats are such a large part of who I am...I love the sea. I have been through seven Typhoons in the South China Sea. (without a life vest) Swam with sharks and sea snakes (poisonous but only aggressive during mating season). Spent my summers on the Chesapeake Bay, Delaware River or Atlantic Ocean. I once paddled a telephone poll down a river in NJ. So when I say I know how you feel about finding a new sense of FREEDOM believe me I know...I get it every time I go near water, I want to escape the land. Maybe I sould share my mystical experiences at sea...Hmmmm Getting caught up in the beauty of the ocean at night..wow! Enough for now. I'm so happy for you.

10:05 AM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

PS. I will be at Rehobath Beach DE next week as the sea calls to me again. Dang, now I want to run down to the ocean today. See what you did?

10:08 AM  
Blogger Anil P said...

I can imagine the feeling of being alone out on the water, setting the pace, and drifting, letting the boat ride the waters.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Dave Morris said...

We have a small lake behind our house but no boating is allowed. (dammit) But I can imagine nothing more therapeutic than a day on the water.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home