June 04, 2008

I Love It ~ I Hate It


Bees: I love that some types make honey and I enjoy watching them flit from flower to flower then zig zag off to another location. I hate when they buzz near my ear and I really hate when they reduce me to a sniveling three year old or force me to spazz-out like Joe Cocker.





Poetry: I love poems that are funny and I love poetry that is rhythmic. I hate poems I can't fully grasp by my third read. If they are too profound or too sappy, I'm usually lost by the second half. I mean, I know there is a place for them - the purpose is just lost on me.I wish I could like poetry better ... most folks act like it's very chic to love poetry or more aptly put, to really GRASP poetry. I've never been accused of being chic.

Art: The same thing applies to art. I love art that is obvious; someone's rendition of a landscape, skyline, people, animals, things I can point to and say in excited tones, "Oooh, look at the neat ____!!" You know? On the other hand, when I stand in a museum in front of a piece that makes me tilt my head in more than one direction... or squint, or scratch my temple ... it just doesn't move me. Again, I realize how chic or "gifted" it is to admire all works of art ... I just can't join that particular club.


Crawly Critters: I love to watch educational nature shows that feature in-your-face close-ups of insects, bugs, spiders ... in fact, the closer up the better. I love learning how and what they eat and how and when they reproduce. I hate the same bugs and whatnot in person -- especially when they get on me or invade my home, car or picnic basket.

Velvet: I love the look of it - so rich and luxurious. I hate the feel of it; I touch velvet and cringe... you know that fingernail down a chalkboard reaction in your spine? That's me when I run my hand across something made of velvet. Crushed velvet is a little better.


Since I turned to material:
Satin: I love the look AND feel of satin. I just hate that it makes me sweat -- profusely. I had two satin blouses... real satin ... expensive stuff... I had requested one of them as a Christmas gift long ago ... I wore it twice and gave it to a thrift shop. Nothing spells attractive like a lady with pit-stains. And satin sheets? Oh yes, now there's a sight in the morning. It's one thing to wake up with bedhead; another thing to wake up with sweat head. Again, there's a place for beautiful satin ... but it's just not on me.


Vacations: I love that feeling of packing up to go off somewhere special and see new things... do new things; the ever-loved vacation. I truly hate (and dwell upon) the coming home bit. You know, now that I get this into writing, I realize that it all comes down to work. Now that I'm not working, I'll bet I would really like the idea of coming home again. It was always that nagging "must go back to the grind" that bugged me on my final day of vacation. Okay cancel out this entire entry in your mind. Skip it. [laughs to self, slaps knee]

~~~
That's all I have for now. I'll be back in a few days this time around. I have a couple of things in draft that I started back when my participate button was set to OFF.
In the meantime... if you happened by and got this far, why not share something that you have mixed feelings about?
Thanks for coming over ...
WH
"You know that when I hate you, it is because I love you to a point of passion that unhinges my soul" ... Julie de Lespinasse

15 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Ah, another good one, Carol. I agree with you on all but the velvet and satin. I love velvet, and satin is a take it or leave it for me.

I love that quote!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Love and hate make the perfect couple.
I hate satin bedsheets though.
I keep squirting out of bed.

Great post

2:23 PM  
Blogger Lyvvie said...

I completely agree with you about velvet - I'm exactly the same. Also about satin - I adore satin! But because I tend to perspire a lot so I can't wear satin tops, either. I do allow myself satin pajamas though but I tend to only wear the bottoms as I've found that the tops always manage to unbutton themselves in the night.

Tell me your take on stretch jeans!

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's life isn't it? It seems all the things we love most are ultimately bad for us - ice cream, hamburgers, waffles with lashings of syrup, and even the most exquisite and pleasurable of activities results in the damp patch. Life's a bitch, don't you think?

Don

9:42 AM  
Blogger Dave Morris said...

Ah, yes. Some things are best enjoyed from beyond arms length, so not to ruin the experience! Although my hatred for unpacking (which is deep and abiding) won't keep me from getting on that plane!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Bees...I love watching them. Had a hive in the wall of the flat downstairs at one stage. The boys and I would sit on the steps and watch them zoom out of the hive all speedy like, then watch them come back in all slow and wobbly, laiden down with pollen. On the hate side? Got one caught in my hair years ago...freaked the hell outta me!

Poetry...I am SO with you on this one. I love the obvious stuff, and the rhythmic, it's cool to read. The other stuff I have to wonder if it's written by someone high that has no idea what words they're stringing together lol

Art...agree. Beautiful brushstrokes and skillful hands, amazing. Abstract stuff, or just one dot on a canvas is way beyond my perspective.

Velvet...don't like the feel of it, but like the warmth it gives.

Satin...love to wear satin to bed, I can move around during the night without waking to find I've just about strangled myself with my nightie lol. You move around, satin moves with you, love that!

Vacations: I hate the packing bit, love the actual travelling bit. Hate the unpacking bit and the feeling like it never happened it was all over so fast!

Right, think I've taken up enough room in your comment section now. Ciao for now! mwah*

5:04 PM  
Blogger dan said...

"...force me to spazz-out like Joe Cocker." - i just love that image.

here's a poem for you:

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I've got the clap
And so have you.

Sorry.

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some poetry sounds so much better in context and read out loud. I'm not a lover of poetry for the sake of it either. I bet you would like Billy Collins. He's quirky like you.

Try silk! It regulates heat. I can only sleep in silk. Satin would kill me. I don't think it's real.

A fabric artist once taught me how to test a fabric. Take a little piece you don't need, from the hem or something and light a match to it. If it's a natural material it will burn to an ash and disappear. Man made stuff burns into a hard ball of plastic. That's what we're wearing when we wear polyester, acetate and etc.

Glad your girl is healing up!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

This post reminds me of the saying be careful of what you wish for...once you get it you wonder why you wanted it so much! Mixed feelings...parties with people I don't know very well. Only it is the opposite. I dread going and then find I may dread leaving!

1:19 PM  
Blogger Frustrated Writer said...

I love fishing for trout but hate eating them. I am a catch and release person for sure when it comes to those trout!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am definitely going to enjoy reading yours on a regular basis... we have a lot of favorites in common, i.e. Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, classic rock....

Yes, that is a picture of me that I use for my greeting card and photography business called "Made For Keeps Originals". Hey, that would be a fun topic... get everyone to post their favorite baby pic. Ha!

10:15 PM  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

FYI: Can't remember where I stole that picture. I will print it for you if you want.

8:26 AM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Good post. For me, something I have mixed feelings about is work. I love my job, I really do, but I hate going to work. Mornings are not my friend. Usually when I get here, I'm in the mood.

9:13 AM  
Blogger bobbie said...

Are you sure we aren't twins, separated at birth? No of course not. I'm much older than you are. But between this post and your profile, I don't know.

came here via Judy at Imagine. I must now explore your previous posts, for sure.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My love/hate connection has to be with my computer. I LOVE sitting down to it with my cup of coffee in the morning.. checking out my email, visiting my friends in Blogland, or playing with my photos.
I HATE my computer when I click save (or think I click save) and my work vanishes into Never Never Land.. never to be seen again. +sigh+
Other than that, it was hard for me to come up with things that I both love and hate. I seem to be a love OR hate kind of person. :-)

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home